Monday, April 27, 2009

Hockey

So. I am a Canadian. And...I love hockey. I always dreamed about having my kids play. Then we moved to Mexico and I kinda forgot about that dream. Then, the dream was re-introduced when some neighbors told us that their son plays. Here. In Mexico. But the dream was dashed again when Reece said he didn't want to play. That was about 8 months ago.

Our other neighbors and good friends told us a few weeks ago they were taking their son to try out hockey. I jumped on the dream again...and this time my boys decided to give it a try (there is no doubt that friends have influence - even at an early age).

I will say that I did a lot of self-talk to remind myself that we are not going to be parents who force our kids to play a sport they don't want to play. But we also know our kids and know they take a little time to adjust to new and unknown situations. So...I found the balance within myself between those two facts and prepared to see what happened at our first attempt at the beautiful sport of hockey. Considering some early tears were shed in those first moments in the dressing room...it all turned out pretty well....and we are setting our sights ahead to the NHL :)

Gettin' suited up...



Getting ready to hit the ice for the first time! Check out this video (I had my camera sideways and that's how it uploaded...sorry, but you get the idea. Ready for the NHL? Not quite...but pretty good for his first time ever!)


Reece did well and was proud that he didn't even fall one time in his second class.


Chase had a bit of a harder time getting his balance, but found it with the help of a chair :)

I LOVE this picture -because he just looks like he was born to play (its the Canadian blood!)...and his smile is genuine...he is really having fun....and that makes me really happy. Note: the scar on his face was not from hockey - but it kinda makes him look tough doesn't it :)


Here is Reecer with his good friend Kate - all of her roller-skating practice has helped her out a lot too - she is doing great!

So - although Chase is feeling a little more timid about all of this - we are being understanding and letting him take his time and go at his own pace. They have only gone two times so there is lots of time to gain confidence and to decide if it is for him or not. Reece keeps asking to go back...but the City is shut down for swine flu breakout so skating will have to wait. In the meantime...we are thankful for healthy boys and for opportunities to try new things that connect us to our roots.

5 comments:

Timbra said...

if only reece were missing a tooth or two. . . then he'd REALLY look like a hockey player. what a fun dream realized!!! my dream is for alani to learn to swim by the end of the summer, to go to the olympics as a swimmer. . .too much to ask?!!!

Sarah said...

Yeah, the scar gives him street cred.....or rather, ice cred! HOW ADORABLE!!!!

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

Loved this post! Reece is a natural! Seriously! I can't believe that was his first time. Ask benjy about my first time on the ice. I was not a natural! In that picture Reece and Kate look so much alike they could be bro and sis!Love you!

David and Olivia said...

Ha ha! Love it... you sound like my husband with rugby. He's determined our kids will play rugby, and personally I'm not opposed to it. Hockey would be a good choice too. Glad he did well and enjoyed it! You'll have a hockey player yet, I'm sure!!

Su said...

So, I told my Canadian co-worker about your little hockey players, and she was delighted! I'm pretty sure she shares your feelings about the kids playing hockey. :)