Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Jesus & Batman

I believe that just like it can be a struggle for us as adults to relate to, understand, and walk alongside the truth that Jesus is real....it can be a really tough concept for kids to comprehend.

My little 4 year old Chase is absolutely fascinated with superheroes right now, and most specifically Batman. Sadly for him, he has a Mommy who doesn't think that a lot of those kind of movies are appropriate for little ones, so although he has not seen many superhero movies, he has a very vivid imagination and has figured out that Batman has power and can beat the bad guys. He has a little neighbor friend, Hector, who has a lot of superhero toys so I am sure he has learned lots of this stuff from him. It is fun to watch him play...and since the majority of his superheroe influences come from little Mexican boys...he pronounces all of their names in an accent that originates with a spanish speaker trying to prounounce an english superhero name. Rather humorous.

The other day Chase came marching into the house to announce to his family that he was changing his name. "My name isn't Chase anymore. I am Batman." He was completely serious. And he has followed through with this idea...I heard him yesterday playing with Reece and correcting him as to who he is. And Reece, being the smart boy he is is manipulating this piece of information to get Chase...I mean, Batman - to bring him the things he wants. Apparently, the boy is much more cooperative when he is called the right name - maybe I need to learn from this and start requesting obedience from....aaahheemmm....Batman. And just this morning I quietly explained to Chase that before he was even born, Daddy chose his name, it was special and Daddy had wanted him to be called Chase. He conceded to go with..."Chase Batman Lambert Brednich".

I realize that this phase of his childhood will pass so I am going to enjoy Chase as he thinks about capes and beating the bad guys and flying through the air. Yet in all the fun of it we felt we had to confront this situation....

A few nights ago, for some reason (which I am sure had something to do with Chase boasting about how Batman is the best in the world) Benjy casually asked Chase who he thought was stronger...Batman or Jesus. Without hesitation, Chase responded - Batman! Listening from the kitchen, I was somewhat saddened by his answer, taking it as a reflection on the job we are doing as parents. But Benjy, without being at all rattled, scooped Chase up into his knee and asked him if he wanted to hear a story. He carefully continued on, telling Chase in great detail about the time Jesus encountered the wild, crazy man who was full of evil spirits. Little Chasers eyes were as round as saucers as his Daddy shared about the amazing power Jesus had - simply with his words - to send the bad out of him and make him new and right again. Benj summarized the way Jesus didn't use his fists, or didn't need to fly through the air, or even need a side-kick to fix things. Jesus' power was in His words and it came from God.

As you can guess, before Chase was released from his Daddy's knee, a small question was re-phrased to him. "Now Chase, who do you think is better and stronger? Jesus or Batman?" Chase looked up and said, "I think God, Jesus and Batman" :)

I write this to remind myself of the incredible challenge we have to make Jesus real to our kids. It isn't easy. It is easy to let time pass and priorities to get jumbled and for the fun and attractive and popular things to grab the attention of our kids while the Bible and the reality of a Jesus that matters to them in their little stages of life is placed in the shadows. I am motivated again to not let myself become lazy and hope that some Bible stories on Sunday and throwing in a few bedtime prayers and an occasional squeezed-in devotional time before school - that these things will be sufficient to provide spiritual formation for their little souls. I don't exactly know what spiritual formation means or looks like - or if what we call it matters - but I do believe it is my highest calling as a parent - to represent Jesus in the flesh to them (whoa - that requires some repentance on a daily basis!)and to help them learn and trust His goodness. I need to pray for them about this much more than I do and to be much more intentional in this area.

Do I think Chase is headed down a dangerous path because he thinks Batman is pretty cool? No. In fact, I kinda think I might make him a Batman cape as a suprise. But I guess I do owe a thank-you to Batman for reminding me of some important stuff this week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, great story. You two are both incredibly good people...and I am truly blessed to know you both.

Thanks for sharing.

--scott smith

Jim said...

Wow, we can sure relate to what you're talking about, having a 4 year old boy ourselves! We really have to think about what we want our children to learn, and how to teach it!

Devin said...

Carolyn,

THANK YOU for this post today. What an encouragement to see how your hubby handled that conversation--I am not sure that I would have done so well! In fact, these sorts of things have come up before around here, and I agree--some times the things of this world are far too easy for children to have access to and to understand, but the things of God's Word are not so easy! Thank you, thank you for this post today. It has encouraged me to do a much better job 'teaching' my children at all times.

David and Olivia said...

Carolyn, what an encouragement, I agree. You guys are doing a great job with you kids. As parents I know you have to fight battles for and with your kids, making sure they know who is most important and who we live for daily. You two keep up the great work, you're an example to us who don't have kids but will someday!