Thursday, April 02, 2009

Flapping Your Gums?

So often, the funny stuff about parenting comes from the kids...but not always.

The other day we were all in the van and we hear the familiar sounds of squabbling siblings. The warning to please stop teasing one another was sent out...several times....increasingly less calm each time. We are noticing lately that our eldest son sometimes does not realize that he should just receive instruction and not respond. Perhaps innocent on his end of things, the continual talking or questioning can come off as disrespectful when the parent(s) is somewhat agitated :) So...Benjy firmly tells Reece to make sure he is listening and to repeat the statement back to him as evidence that he got the point. I am in the passenger seat, watching this all unfold, and in full agreement with my sweet husbands' parenting technique...until...Benjy begins, "Reece I want you to quit teasing your brother and to quit flapping your gums when you are told something" At firsthand, I thought nothing of it b/c it made sense to me....until Benjy requested the repeat from Reece. The slow, methodical repetition of Reece's words made it apparent that he did not at all understand what he was supposed to say.... but also knew he was in deep trouble if he didn't repeat it. So Reece carefully says he is not to tease anymore and....I...am...supposed to....stop....flapping.... my.... g - what does that mean anyway??

I was laughing so hard in the front seat....(to myself, of course! ha!)

1 comment:

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

I laughed and laughed when I read this. I can hear Benj saying this. Love the story. Thanks for the laugh