Monday, July 31, 2006

Difficult, Yes...Worth It, I Believe So

I have been feeling God challenging me to grow in my time with Him through prayer. I just finished reading a book (which is a huge accomplishment for me to be able to say I finished a book these days!) called Armchair Mystic by Mark E. Thibodeaux. It is about easing into contemplative prayer. I have really loved its practicality, its simplicity and the way he describes prayer in different stages. The book talks about the importance of solitude in our lives - that we are so busy, and surrounded by noise that we have become uncomfortable with silence. The book is a challenge and a call to a deeper and more real relationship with God. I have decided to follow some of his practical suggestions and commit to growing in this area of my life. I believe it will be difficult to develop the habit, to strive for consistency and to approach the process with the right spirit and attitude...but I also trust that if I can be patient - God will open my eyes to a richer relationship with Him that will be very worth it! Pray for me! And if you are interested, pick up a copy of this book and let's journey together. I would love to hear how your prayer life is!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! We are traveling along a similar journey with prayer, Carolyn! Armchair Mystic was one of many books we discussed at the ZOE Growing Deeper Spirituality Retreat... which was all geared toward these contemplative disciplines. Have you read Marjorie Thompson's SOUL FEAST? It's really excellent at introducing the wide range of ways to encounter God that our tradition has overlooked or de-emphasized throughout our history... I feel like a whole new world is being opened up to me!!! I'm glad to know this is on your heart & gladly share in it with you...

Praying with you and for you...
Ang