Thursday, July 20, 2006

Calling All Bakers!

Well, it is Thursday again - which means baking morning for the coffee shop. It has become my routine to do as much baking for the weekend as I can today so that I don't feel like I am spending all weekend in the kitchen. My selection of recipes have come mainly from my Mom, a few suggested recipes from cook books, the odd experimental try, and a random search here and there on the internet. But I am ready for some variety that has the word "experience" attached to it. So, to any of you out there who love to bake - or who don't even necessarily love it but know of some good, yet simple recipes for cakes, pastries, etc.. - would you mind passing them along to me? I would love it - just remember that I live in Mexico so don't have all of the ingredients accessible like you - but I'll creatively try to figure out some kind of substitute if I need to.

Some good news about the coffee shop....we believe that we might be seeing the first apparent fruits of our work there. We have met a young couple, Gerardo and Dulce, who very recently (about the same time we opened up the shop) moved into a house up the street from us. They have become faithful customers - often sitting for an hour or so most weekends - talking, asking questions, and building a friendship with Benjy. We are thankful for what God seems to be opening up with them and we anticipate our friendship and time together growing beyond the walls of our coffee shop - exactly what we have prayed for. We have talked about going together to get tacos sometime this week. Please pray for their hearts to be open to what God wants to do for and in them. And pray for us to have wisdom to be natural, and patient with the opportunity.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't browsed through my recipes yet... but biscotti comes to mind. Are people there familiar with biscotti? I have a base recipe that is great & can make several different kinds from it like almond & anise seed or walnut orange... (Dip those babies in a layer of dark chocolate, and HELLO! It is love!) I'll pass it on if you're interested... e-mail me.

I will remember to pray for the relationships you and Benjy are building there - prayers for mutual companionship and for God to be in the center of it...

Lovingly,
Ang

Anonymous said...

P.S. Are others helping you with the baking? I hope so... I mean, I know it's a labor of love, but I do hope you have others working alongside you. Running a business is hard work!

Anonymous said...

Peanut Butter Puffed Wheat too easy or simple to serve?? Let me know!!

Char

Craig,Leah,Lena said...

Care, don't know if you serve 'danties' or little squares, cause i have a great 7 minutes in the microwave one that you could try. let me know!
Leah