Thursday, May 21, 2009

Scared

Here comes the age when the emotion of feeling scared is recognized in Piersen. I know this sounds cruel, but it is actually really kind of cute. Cute not because he is crying in fear...(that would be cruel to declare "cute")...more because he doesn't cry at all - he just shrugs his shoulders up real close to his face and points his fingers toward that which he is afraid of....and has this expression on his face. So - the rest of us in the family have made it our task to teach him there is nothing to be scared of. We do lots of petting of inanimate objects while saying, "nice, nice, it is ok - nothing scarey". Pierce quickly smiles and says "niiii, niiiii". This morning when I heard him talking in his crib, I entered his room - he looked at me - assumed the "I am scared pose" and pointed to his closet. So we began to pet all the baby equipment...stroller, swing, etc.. and he was soon perfectly content.

I guess I share this because I wish my fears and insecurities were this easily soothed. A group of ladies from our church are beginning a Beth Moore study together - "Believing God". I am having a difficult time starting out with it - mainly because of not carving out time/priority for it. But I hope that my time in this study will point me in a direction of strengthening my faith and deepening my trust in my God, whose perfect love casts out fear.

No comments: