Thursday, January 21, 2010

Draw Near To God And He Will Draw Near To You

I was asked by an old high school friend to write an article for one of our Canadian Christian magazines. I was thankful for the opportunity because I love to write and it helps me to think through things. With the New Year and all the changes in our family, I didn't exactly sit down and write out a specific list of New Year's Resolutions...in fact I am not always sure I like specific resolutions. But, I do like new beginnings (thank God we have them every day if not every minute as I need them a lot!!) and I like any chance to think of how to be better, do better, love better, parent better, share better, apologize better, and so on...

I got to thinking that likely many of you who do read my blog (even though, as I am finding out, don't EVER leave comments - shame on you Beth!) are young Mom's just like me. I thought maybe my thoughts and reflections might encourage you in this New Year. Take a look...

Drawing Near Through the Seasons of Life.

I grew up in Saskatchewan and now that I am away from the definite changing of seasons, I find myself really missing the cold winters, the newness of spring, the warm summers and the beautiful colors of fall. Mexico City stays green all year long and although the temperatures fluctuate some and there is a definite rainy season, it just isn't the same. You may be chuckling at this and wishing you were here with me because you are in the middle of cold, windy, wintery temperatures, but believe me, you too would miss the snow! Sometimes you don't know how much something means to you until it is gone.

This thing called "life" also seems to present us with different seasons. Although I still consider myself quite young and I do recognize that I have many important life stages to yet experience, I feel like I have learned some important things in my young 35 years. The season of life that I am in right now is a rewarding one. I am a young mother - with 4 young children - all boys, believe it or not. Reece (6), Chase (5), Piersen (2) and Hudson (2 months) have given my husband and I the blessing of becoming parents. We are up to our elbows in disciplining, potty training, setting limits, delivering consequences, reinforcing manners, and ref-er-eering wrestling matches. There is no doubt that it is a fun and crazy time of life!

My life was not always filled with this type of responsibility or noise! Not too long ago, as a student, a missionary apprentice, or even a new wife - I had a lot more time to frame and strengthen my faith through the typical "spiritual disciplines". I remember having a Bible reading plan that I was disciplined at sticking with. I remember having quiet time and solitude in prayer. I remember having a circle of friends with whom I studied and talked with and grew spiritually with. I was drawing near to God and He was drawing near to me - just as James 4:8 promises.

Although my season of life has changed since those days - God has not changed from His original desire to be in relationship with me. I must admit that it has not always been an easy journey...but yet I have slowly learned that "drawing near to God" does not always have to look the same in every season of life. God is bigger than any Bible reading plan or regularly scheduled devotional time. Yes - He may use those in our lives to draw us closer to Him - and I believe He does, but I also believe He uses other ways. I am thankful that God's grace looks at our hearts. That He recognizes our desires. That He understands the burdens and obstacles we may have regarding "time" in our day.

I believe that God is pleased with me when I remind myself that I am in a unique and beautiful season of life - that He just might sense me "drawing near to Him" when I have a sink full of dirty dishes - and I simply choose to serve with a humble attitude and sing praises to Him in the quiet of my kitchen as my little ones sleep in their beds. Or maybe He senses me "drawing near to Him" when I arise yet another time in the middle of the night to feed my new baby and I choose to reflect on His goodness to me and the ways He has blessed me. Do I open my Bible regularly these days? Honestly, no. Do I have a regularly carved out time in my day of devotion and prayer? No. Have I studied deeply the Word of God lately. No. But, perhaps, on a more appropriate level for this season of life...I have been called to answer simple questions from my boys about who God is and what He might look like. Or why certain things happened in a particular Bible story. I have more than enough opportunities to pray for patience as I mother them - or to pray for their protection and safety. To ask God for wisdom as we seek to raise them to be solid, good men who love God. Am I drawing near to God in this season? I would have to say "yes!"

Is there room in my spiritual journey to grow in my dependence on Him? Without a doubt! However, this year - 2010 - I am choosing to spend less time evaluating my relationship with God through the same old lense that I used to use and am hoping to redefine spiritual growth in the framework of my current season of life. I believe I am still called to draw near to Him - being a Mom of young children does not excuse that - but it does call me to acknowledge that God is after my heart more than my habits.

Perhaps there is a need for you to do the same for yourself. What unique season of life do you find yourself in? Is there a need for you to redefine your framework for spiritual growth. Might you need to remind yourself that God is a God who desires to draw near to you...and then begin finding fresh and creative ways to challenge yourself to draw near to Him. I hope so. And I hope that you are richly rewarded in your journey with Him in this season, and the next.

10 comments:

Alisha Tucker said...

Thanks.
That was encouraging!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the well spoken - as always - thoughts, and thanks for encouraging me.

One idea I've been pondering lately is making up some duo tang song books for night time routines - all the songs from my/our childhood that will never make their way into our kid's memories unless I lead the way .... send me your songlist and then I'll get typing!! It will be God moments plus good reading opportunities as we sing!!

LOVE U ...

vik said...

Carolynka,

I feel so relieved! Thank you. Thank you.

Jen Mooney said...

I have tears in my eyes, so you could say that you have hit a cord! I love how you write and how well you express yourself. It's a real gift and today it was a gift to me! So thank you! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jen. I like how you are able to express yourself so well! I also think you are wise way beyond your years! Thanks for the encouragement to reflect on this season in my life. Love you. Ellen

Unknown said...

just Great Car... I loved it and it did encourage me. You do write well... LOL Tana

Timbra Wiist said...

keep wanting to comment, but fail to have two hands. . . . thank you for this gentle and beautiful reminder of the seasons of our lives and how God gives us all unique and different opportunities to draw near at different seasons. . .

Unknown said...

Yes, just wanted to say Thank YOu for sharing this too. Your blog in general is such an encouragement to me to look on the positive side of life and circumstances and to be thankful for everything I have.
And I do struggle with not having those daily routines, but this year have made my resolution to try to give myself more grace and not as much guilt. I have decided that is what God wants most for me at this season of my life. Thank you, again!
Lucy

Anonymous said...

Wow! Care! Needless to say, that is well written and reminds me that I, too, am in a stage of life where, if I let myself, will reflect on all the mistakes and un-used opportunities of the past, and allow them to shape my days but I am thankful that God gives us new opportunities every day and gives grace for each day. I have been encouraged by your well presented thoughts...keep them comig. You have such a great family...how I love those boys and both of you. Gods love..............

Anonymous said...

That anonymous is me, Care.
Love. Mom