Monday, October 26, 2009

Words Worth Remembering...

We have had some funny and or special moments as of late...ones worth recording :)

I Have Someone Fooled....
A few days ago Benjy took the older boys along with him to help paint the house of some of our friends. While they were working, Reece noticed that Lauren was resting instead of painting. She is in her first trimester of pregnancy, and naturally...tired. When she came into the room, Reece did not hesitate to ask her why she was tired. She explained to him that she had a tiny baby in her tummy and that him/her growing and changing makes her tired. Apparently, Reece looked at her and plainly stated, "hmmm - my Mom has a baby in her tummy too and she is never tired" (yes, I got a good laugh out of that one when it was shared with me - if he only knew!)

A Little Out of Context....
We have been working on learning a few memory verses around here. The boys love it and it serves as a good way to gently remind them what God wants in certain circumstances. A few days ago Reece was sent to his room as a punishment. In fine "sibling rivalry fashion" Chase wanted to know what he did. My response was to protect Reece because really it had nothing to do with Chase and he didn't need to know what had transpired between me and him. Chase asked several times and when I told him that was enough - we weren't talking about it anymore - he looked up at me and said, "well, don't you remember what the verse says....you should do to me what you want me to do to you....so tell me what Reece did cuz I wanna know" :)

When I Am the Playmate of Choice...
Pierce LOVES to play with his big brothers. He gets right in there and plays whatever they are playing and he has a good time. What makes me feel super special is when Piersen come to me (especially when the boys are available and home from school) and he says - "play trains. Me and you. You and me. Come on Mom" He is the sweetest!

Does He Still Believe?....
Mimi (my mother-in-law) commented the other day that she is thankful to be able to spend Christmas with us this year because she fears that this just may be Reece's last year to believe in Santa Clause. Here is some confirmation that she can be sure he still believes.... We were making a "wish list" to honor the requests of Grandparents who are wanting to prepare well for the holiday season. Reece was having a hard time really knowing what he was interested in in asking for. As he thought, it suddenly dawned on him (it really did seem like the light bulb came on in his head) - "I am just going to ask Santa to give me one of those little helper guys...what are they called? " I told him, "elves". He continued, "ya, I am going to ask Santa to give ME one of his elves so he could just build me whatever toy I want whenever I want it!" Not long after that thought came out of his mouth and I tried to hide my smile he had already realized in such a sweet and innocent way, "but I already know he probably won't do that" I reminded him that he probably was right because Santa needs his helpers to make toys for everyone.

Fast like when I was born...
Obviously with the new arrival expected into our family very soon, we have been talking about babies and my boys' when they were babies and where they were born and what they were like and on and on. Chase seemed especially interested about his birth so I told him the story of how quickly he arrived (us making it to the hospital at 3:00am and holding him in our arms at 3:30am). As I have said before, Chase tends to do things in his own time. For whatever reason - he has grabbed a hold of his "birth story" and it has been highly motivational for him. A few days after hearing about his birth story, he told Benjy that he was going to get something (whatever Benjy had asked him to do) fast - fast like he was born - because he was born fast...and Reece wasn't!

Out of context...again...
Reece, being the oldest, has nearly perfected the technique of manipulating certain situations to get things from his little brothers. He isn't always successful but has learned quite skillfully how to make the toy he doesn't want to seem super cool so he can get the toy he really wants. I walked in on him the other day with the toy that Pierce had just been enjoying in his own hand. Reece flashed me a bright smile and said, "Mom, Pierce really understands our memory verse - he is being a peacemaker and just gave me this toy!"

Telling It Like It Is...I Guess...
My boys, like all boys, enjoy being swung with their arms when walking down the street or in a shopping center, etc.. I am not particularly fond of it since it tends to happen suddenly and in unexpected moments. My balance is a little off these days too so although Pierce was happily being swung between Benjy and Reece - I had Chase's hand and he wanted to do likewise. I told him he couldn't and his response: "oh ya, you can't because you are fat." Sure....thanks?!?

Well, that wraps up a few "fun" conversations as of late. Hope you got some smiles from these kiddos of mine. As we say around here, "never a dull moment"!

5 comments:

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

HILARIOUS!!! I laughed and laughed. Thanks so much for sharing these. I love those boys!

Jen Mooney said...

I definitely got some smiles from these stories. These memories are treasures. It's great to have them written down to be remembered! Love it!

Devin said...

Oh, by far I got the biggest kick out of the 'peacemaker' story. How hilarious are boys...aren't you glad you got all this down to look back on someday? :)

Timbra Wiist said...

priceless. . . you should really lay off the tortilla chips :) that swinging thing, it's not just for boys. . . ANY time alani holds the hand of someone on both sides, we'll be walking along merrily and suddenly a 30 pound dead weight is between us. . . we call it "a free ride" i'm not super fond either, because of the abruptness. LOVE these little conversations, kids always keep us guessing. . .and thanks for checking up on me via FB. . . i'm doing well! how about YOU????

David and Olivia said...

These stories are wonderful! Thanks for sharing, I loved reading them!!!