Monday, October 05, 2009

Top Ten Reasons Why Downsizing Has Been Great For Us!

When we moved at the end of August into this apartment, which happens to be about half the size of our previous house, many thought we were crazy. I am sure that choosing to have a positive attitude about it has made a difference but I feel really really happy here. We are very blessed and have much to be thankful for. Here are some reasons I am thankful for our new spot to call "home": (in no particular order)

1) we have peaceful mornings.
This is the first year we have dealt with 2 different school starting times for the boys - Reece enters at 8, Chase at 9. I can see the entrance to the school out of our living room window...which means that I take a lazy stroll to drop Reece off, come back home and have some time with Chase before we walk across the street and drop him off. I have LOVED not dealing with loading up in the car, seat belts, traffic, etc.. Thinking ahead to a new baby at home makes this option even more wonderful. And can't we all use a little more peace in our mornings?!?!

2) less storage space means more organization required.
I have strangely enjoyed having to be more creative with where to place things, what to keep (and not to keep) and to try and live with a little more organization and a little less clutter.

3) no stairs.
Since I am...ummmm....rather pregnant....I can't tell you how nice it has been to have everything all on one floor. No stairs to climb - especially at the end of a long day when my little boys need a story, or a drink of water, or another tuck in - and during laundry time when all is within easy access for sorting, folding and the dreaded putting away.

4) we are spending more time together.
This is an important one. I just feel like we have spent more time together - especially reading and playing board games - because everything is stored close to where we are hanging out. In our other house we had a "play room" but it was on the top, 3rd floor and its where all of our books and games were - they weren't utilized nearly as much. I have had so much fun in this apartment playing, making puzzles, reading books. It has been a great thing for our relationships with the kids.

5) we have a nice front yard.
Mind you it is not a private yard - it is a common area for all - but it is pretty and has nice lawn and a good spot for the kids to play. There is even a nice little white bench that I can sit on as the boys play, go down their little slide, kick a ball, or....climb trees :)

6) the windows have screens on them.
This is a nice added bonus in any house but especially when you have a husband who is quite freakish about mosquitos. We have been sleeping with the cool breeze flowing through our room.

7) the boys already had friends who lived here.
Both Reece and Chase had classmates that lived in these apartments so it was a relatively easy transition as far as friends were concerned. They seem to have adjusted well.

8) I like my kitchen better.
I have better counter space and I'd have to say the oven is much better (although that didn't take much - ha!)

9) We are paying less money in rent so you just can't complain about that.

10) And last but not least....I am certain that it isn't the house that makes a home anyway!

So there ya have it. We feel more or less settled and I have liked learning that less - at first glance - is not always all that difficult.

3 comments:

Devin said...

I am so glad that you are so happy in your new place!

I, too, hate the stairs, even when I am not pregnant. When we moved 3 years ago to this house--a ranch--from a 2 story, I was so happy, and I swore I would NEVER go back to a house with stairs again if I could help it!

Sam and Ann Gonzalez said...

Okay, so you're not crazy! =)
11. Cuts down on out of town visitors.
12. You just have to come to Morelia to visit!

Sounds like a great set-up. Glad to hear it is working out well for you.
Love you guys!

David and Olivia said...

Good list. I especially like that you live so close to the school, I could definitely see the advantages of that. And after battling mosquitoes a lot here, I can understand your husband's freakishness. :) Glad you're feeling at home in your new place!! You should post pics soon (if you haven't already and I just haven't gotten to it yet! :))