Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Something I Have Learned...

The other day I received a question from a young, single girl that before my journey as a Mom I would have totally related to. She asked me if I was "against" letting my boys play with toy guns. I simply smiled at first....remembering my personal ideas that "guns" just aren't something that I like, or feel send any kind of positive message for play. And then...I birthed boys.

So my answer to her was not what I would have said in my pre "boy" years. Rather I stated that I understood her point but that when you see your "never exposed to guns before" boys making guns out of sticks, books, or even biting their toast or apple slices into gun-like shapes and shooting each other across the breakfast table...you tend to lighten up a little and realize that it really is in their blood.

Don't worry people, my kids aren't violent and other than little water or nerf ball guns they don't have anything that resembles "real" guns...they don't need 'em - they have imaginations!

2 comments:

Duana said...

Well said and so true! How can you explain it until you have boys who are drawn to these things naturally!

At one point I was so shocked by their "violent" play that I banned anything in the house that resembled a weapon. And just like you said, their toast then became a gun!

Timbra Wiist said...

mike took alani out to the mall recently, he said she stopped dead in her tracks at a HUGE shoe display. . . i say this, only because, after reading your post, a few days later, she bit her toast into a BOOT. . . i guess to see the heart of your child, just ask them to bite their toast into a special shape???