Saturday, October 07, 2006

Thankfulness

This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving - and a great opportunity for me to reflect on the goodness in my life. There is much.

I am thankful this morning for Jesus and the One He is in my life - even when I am too distracted and distant to acknowledge Him for all He deserves. I am grateful for the fact that He has been a part of my life since my beginning - and has guided me and protected me from a lot of hard lessons people have to learn the hard way without Him. Christ has been, and continues to be, the foundation of who I am. Sure, I do not always listen to and obey His principles, and I have leaps and bounds to gorw...but at the core of me, and my family is Christ. And I love that. I am thankful for His goodness, His grace, His love, His purpose and His many blessings.

I also am amazed at the idea of "family". I love it that I know so many people who deeply love their spouses and their kids - who think that they are the most blessed and have been given the greatest gifts in a spouse or children (you can all think that, but I believe I have you beat!). I just think it so neat to think that people share life together and enjoy it - what a blessing. I love the unique and special things about my boys - Benjy, Reece and Chase. Their laughs, personalities, sensitivities, generosities, passions and just simply who they are (even including the not always so pretty parts!) I am thankful that I have a grounded, Godly man to walk beside me as we love life together and try to raise these kids to become Godly men. I love it that I have life within me as we await our third child. What an amazing and humbling experience! I love the anticipation that new life brings. I am thankful for my family.

I am also thankful for the idea of hope. I love it that in God, there is always something to look forward to! Yes, I am certainly referring to the joy of heaven and the chance to be with God and reunited with loved ones. But I am also referring to life right now. There is always hope in difficult situations, that God will use it to bring good to someone or something. There is hope that your current struggle won't always be there because of Christ's power to transform. There is hope that God wants to use you for something purposeful at some point. There is hope that people, including myself, will become more and more Christlike...and that the world (even if it is my little part of this big world) can be a better place because of God at work.

I am thankful to have the chance to be at home with my kids while they are young. I know that many women desire that but just can't financially. I am grateful that we don't feel that pressure right now. I know I can get frustrated and forget and am not always aware of the priviledge I have to be a at home with the kids like I am - but when I stop and think about it, I am reminded of all that is good about it. Sure, it is a lot of work and I am not so sure I always do it well - but....I am thankful today that as I sit here and write, I can hear the laughter of my kids playing together. That I was here for all the special milestones, but also for the everyday happenings. I feel honored to give my kids the unique gift of a constant presence in their life, of playtime on the floor, of snacks, of breaking up their fights, of telling them "no" again, of reading stories and singing songs, and disciplining, and on and on. It is a huge responsibility - and I continue to ask God for wisdom - but I love being a Mom and I am thankful today for this role.

I am thankful for relationships. My extended family means a lot to me and I am thankful for the quality of relationship that I feel we have maintained, in spite of living so far apart from each other. And my friendships continue to be an important part of my life. I have kept in contact with a lot of old friends - from childhood, high school, AIM, etc.. and it is just a part of my life that I love. Even at times when weeks and months have passed between making contact, most of the time, we can pick back up and carry on. I am thankful for my friends right here in Mexico - that encourage me on a more regular basis. Thank you to all of you family and friends!

Well, I am sure I could go on, but speaking of my previous "thankfulness" I smell a dirty diaper and must tend to it!

Thank you God for giving me an abundant life! Praise You for your goodness!

No comments: