Monday, October 09, 2006

Bringing Up Boys...

  Reece - 3.5 years

  Chase - 22 months
 Posted by Picasa

I am just finishing up Dr. James Dobson's book, "Bringing Up Boys". It has been on our shelf for a long time but I finally pulled it out and jumped in. It has been a good read - very challenging and in some ways disheartening. Disheartening in the way that he paints the reality of raising kids, and especially boys in todays' culture. He addresses the breakdown of the family system, the blatant war that society wages against the family, and against kids with sex, violence, moral relativity, etc.. etc.. I do feel all the more blessed to have God on my side and a Godly man to share this responsibility with me everyday. I feel called to be more aware of the ugliness that this world has and the important role we have in making our home a refuge and a place of God-centered principles and relationship.

Father, I pray for your loving protection over our boys tonight. I pray for the wisdom and the strength to provide them with a home life rich in relationship, communication, and dependance on You. Give Benjy and I insight into what is best for each of them and to provide boundaries, discipline and love that equips them to be men of character in a world that lacks it. Give us consistency, intention, and endurance in this great task of parenting. Thank You for being the perfect Father - may we do our best to model Your love and grace to our kids. Thank You for the honor of being parents - we need You and humbly ask for lots of wisdom and guidance each step of the journey. In Christ, Amen. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey sweet girl... I have been on a trip, so I haven't been around the blog world very much lately. So, I read up on all the posts I've missed today. Just wanted you to know I'm here and still enjoy reading your heart and life in Mexico!

Always praying for the "algo mas!"

Angie

Anonymous said...

I wonder what Joshua's mom prayed for him? I was telling Cooper the other night that I wanted him to be strong like Joshua, and even if people disagree, he needs to go with God. Later, I got a little frightened. It is not just our society that has wage a war on the family with sex, violence, and moral relativity. Sometimes I forget Joshua actually killed people. I am doing the best I can as a mom. I am sure I could do better, but I pray God will fill in the things I miss with my children, and I believe he will. I cry sometimes when I watch my children sleeping, because if they choose it or not, they were born into a world at war, and life is still beautiful. How ironic.