Wednesday, September 28, 2005

My Kids

I am really enjoying this stage of life in our family. The closeness of age between Reece and Chase is really fun right now. Reece LOVES to entertain and Chase LOVES to be entertained... so they have become quite the pair. They laugh and play together really well - other than the occasional surge of energy that takes over Reece and demands a reminder (sometimes verbal and sometimes a little stronger) that he needs to play gentle with Chase. Chase is a very happy little boy - but there isn't anyone that can cause that deep gutted belly laugh as effectively as his big brother. I am sure that there will be days in the future when they don't get along quite so well and the closeness in age may become a competative issue...but right now, I am very thankful to God that I have two boys who love each other so much. I asked Reece the other night, as I was tucking him in, "who is your best friend"? He answered, "Chase". Could that make a mommy any happier?

Other "boy news"....Reece is doing very well at potty-training. He has had a few naptime accidents but hasn't had any during any of our outings in the past weeks. We are quite proud of him. We are still using a diaper on him at nighttime and are trying to figure out when to take that next step. Any advice? Reece is a pretty creative kid with quite the imagination. It has been fun to watch him play and see what he comes up with next. He is definitely busy! His latest faves are creating food out of play-doh, the UNO card game, and painting. And Chase has been officially tagged our own portable vacuum cleaner. The kid can find the tiniest crumb - it is amazing! He is getting a lot stronger and is becoming discontented with sitting. He wants to pull up and is closer each day to crawling (yikes! this second time around I am learning that life is easier when your baby stays in one spot!) His appetite has grown tremendously and between the two of them - they are eating us out of house and home and they aren't even close to the teenage years. Look out grocery budget!! Chase still has only two bottom teeth, but his whole top gumline is swollen so he may be popping out several at one time up there. Poor guy. One of my favorite times of the day is right before afternoon naps and right before bedtime. We all crash on the floor or on Reece's bed and read a few books together. Chase has especially taken to this time and expresses his enjoyment with lots of squeals and kicks. Reece, is having to learn to share the books - not always an easy thing!

Anyway, I could go on and on. I will stop here with a short word of thanks to God for my incredible children..."Father, I cannot express in words the gratitude I feel for allowing me to spend each day with my boys. I know there are times when I forget the true blessing I have, but in moments of reflection I am quickly reminded of how fortunate I am. Thank You for the way my children teach me about You. Their simplicity, their joy, their excitement over the things that really matter. I thank You tonight for Reece's Christ like heart. His desire to pray and to always be thankful and thoughtful of others challenges me. Thank You for Chase's love and admiration of his brother. Would You help me to grow in love and admiration for Jesus. I leave both Reece and Chase in Your hands and ask You to protect them and to grow them in You. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments: