Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sharks Attack While Reece Turns 7

 
My handsome 7 year old!

7 swimming fins for our 7 year old shark-lover.
  
...the half eaten man idea is credited to my childhood friend, Jen...she suggested a Barbie but....we don't have any of those around our home :)


We celebrated Reece last weekend - he turned 7 (sniff, sniff) and we partied with a shark theme! We hoped and prayed for a sunny day as we had water games and water balloons (lots of them!) on the agenda. We did get our warm and sunny morning and thankfully, Benjy had the insight to get on with the water stuff....just in time before the clouds rolled in and it poured!!!

 
Reece has made a lot of friends in his young life and we felt honored that so many of them came to share the day with him (some 25!)  It was a lot of fun and I think each of them had a super great time at this "not so Mexican" birthday party.  I was happy that many of the Mom's lightened up and let their kids get in the water!

 
If you know my boy, you would understand how thrilled he was when we began to fill up some 300 water balloons for pure enjoyment.  We dumped all of them in the pool and the kids went crazy!!
 

 
Check out that smile :)

 
  
 They also had a blast on the dash n' splash!!! 

 
 
Some refreshers from the warm sun...
 
Then came the rain. It rained hard! Thankfully we had rented a tent in case this happened...so we all huddled inside and waited for this amazing food....tacos al pastor!! (Reece's request!)

 
 
 Then it was time for songs and cake and the "mordita" of course :)  Reecer had it coming to him after his recent role in others' birthday morditas! And of course, he loved it!
 

 

 

 
And although another downpour came, we were able to quickly attack the shark pin~ata and come away with some candy!!

 

 

 

 

My boy had a great time with all of his friends.  We were thankful to be able to host one last birthday party for him here in Mexico.  

I laid my head down on my pillow that night and tears came to my eyes as I reflected on what Reece means to me, to us, to our family, really to everyone who knows him.  As he grows older and older (I know, he is only 7 but I simply can't believe how fast time has flown!) I cannot believe my heart hasn't already burst with pride in who he is and who he continues to become...

Dear Reecer,

You have always deserved the grandest of celebrations - your life is so special and you mean so much to so many.  Thank you for being who you are and for being a boy that we feel so honored to be able to raise and share life with.  You are fun and curious these days - always having more questions come out of your mouth than we can answer.  You always seem to be thinking and wondering and discovering...and I hope that aspect of your personality never changes.  You are responsible and smart and helpful and patient.  You make us proud with how you perform at school and how much you love to read and write and draw....but even more proud at how you interact with your brothers and friends.  You have a heart of gold and you have an understanding about what matters - beyond your years, I believe.  You have an appetite that never seems to end!  You are growing taller and stronger by the day.  You have athletic skills in hockey and soccer and you have a desire to try new sports.  Like all boys, you love tv, computers, and video games and would play a whole lot more than your Mommy allows you to....but you respond well and want your brain to be smart :)  You are a real friend to others and your people skills will take you a long way as we face this life transition of leaving Mexico. Just know, Reece, that you have made a difference to many people already - especially to me and your Daddy.  We are much better people - much better parents, and a much better family because you are with us.  Never forget how much we love you!  Happy 7th birthday...this year holds wonderful adventures in store for you!

Love always,
Mom

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmmm...Tacos al Pastor...I mean...Happy birthday Reece.

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

I loved this post! Thank you SO much for all of the details and the great pics. Hopefully when Mr. Huds 1st birthday rolls around we will be there! We have missed too many Birthdays! Love you!

Timbra Wiist said...

what a lovely "final" birthday in mexico. . .way to go out with a bang! SEVEN!!! WOW! I'll have to email you a few pix of when I visited MC and reece was just a curly haired little tot! I think I have one or two from our evening at your place. Happy Birthday! And Happy Birthday to you to mama, since this is the baby that made you one for the first time! I cry every year before Alani's birthday, so I'm glad to know that there's a kindred spirit out there :) Who am I kidding? I cry every two weeks or so over how fast these babies grow :)