Tuesday, March 30, 2010

And So Now He Understands...Just A Little Better

Picture a nest full of baby birds... mouths wide open... chirping uncontrollably... the momma bird enters the nest with a worm and the chirping goes up a notch higher.

That scene plays itself out in our home many times a day.  We have some hungry little mouths to feed.

Today, in a particularly insane moment (Hudson crying like he hadn't been fed in days and was not going to last a minute longer if he didn't get his milk... now! and the others all equally famished but expressing it in words) my sweet and oldest son came to the rescue.  Reece kindly offered to make a jelly sandwich for himself and his little brothers while I took care of Hudson.

I was so thankful.  Helped him open the jar of jelly and headed to the other room to save Hudson's life :)

Then I smiled as I listen to this scene unfold.  Reece begins to hear the "chirping" from both Pierce and Chase - who needed their sandwich first... how they wanted the jelly spread or not spread... don't cut it don't cut it (Piersen's famous line) ...mine on the blue plate...and so forth. Reece remained calm and began spreading Pierce's sandwich first (good choice I felt - start with the youngest and whiniest in the moment - good strategy).  Then as he moved on to Chase I hear Chase begin to express his concern for the amount of jelly that is lacking on the edge of the bread.  Reece - simply places the sandwich on the plate and confidently states, "please take what you are given"...smiles and moves on to his own sandwich without another thought.

I began to laugh and gave Reece a hard time about how he can now understand that my job isn't always an easy one.  In the next and soon to happen crazy meal or snack time scene, I just may do well to adopt his example and very own words: "please take what you are given"

1 comment:

Timbra Wiist said...

sooooooo wonderful!! in so many ways :)