Thursday, November 16, 2006

Some Things Never Change

This post in written especially for Auntie Betsy (well, and Uncle Brig and Uncle Burke) for all have one thing in common: being a younger brother of my dear husband, Benjy...

Over the past few weeks I have noticed a particular "edge" to Benjy's playtime with the boys and it has given me a real live picture into the "stories" I have heard of the Brednichs childhoods (Betsy being traumatized by toy snakes comes quickly to mind). Chase, like most little boys, LOVES balloons. I recently came across a bag of balloons from a previous birthday party. Chase has been in heaven....until his Daddy realized the thrill of chasing him around the house with a blown up balloon, letting out the air behind him. The look on Chase's little face is priceless. I have tried to capture it on video, and just in a picture but I can't get it because he is too fast - scared out of his pants - but seemingly happy at the same time. And not far behind him comes Benjy, laughing himself silly as his youngest kid is scared to death! In Chase's limited language ability he now says, "booon" (for balloon) but immedietly makes a "pheeew, pheew" sound while saying "no, no" at the same time. The poor kid just wants an innocent balloon to play with, blown up and most certainly tied.

The other thing is the little nurf ball shooting gun that the kids have. Benjy will arrive on the scene with this gun, fully loaded with little green nurf balls and the kids begin screaming and running away in an instant. He pings them off and reloads before they know what is happening. There is a lot of scrambling, screaming and most definitely a lot of laughter (mostly by the one behind the trigger!).

Yes, I enjoy watching these interactions of a Daddy with his sons - it makes my heart happy to see the way Reece and Chase light up when he spends time with them. Sure, sometimes they are begging for him to stop and dear ol' Dad is not ready to relent - but nevertheless, all involved have a great time. It has made me smile to think about how Benjy's siblings had many a good year of that kind of play with their brother. Apparently, he hasn't changed too much in the "traumatizing little ones" department. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Did I have to roll with laughter on this one. I can totally see Benjy chasing his kids around with the nerf gun and the balloon. He thinks it is hilarious when people are scared! I have flash backs of him bringing a dead rat right in front of my face "hey Bets what should I do with this?" He didn't stop laughing about that for 30 minutes! And then there was the time he put panty hose on his head and waited for me to come around the corner. And then the time where he threw a huge 10 ft rubber snake into my bath tub. Oh believe me I could go on. I am laughing now but then? So Reecer and Chaser hang tough and someday we will scare the pants off of HIM! Ha! Betsy