Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Great Eight!

We celebrated eight years of marriage today! I so much appreciate, respect and absolutely love my fun and just plain good husband! We realized today that we have known each other for 10 years - one third of my life! That was a weird thought. My mind drifted back to our dating years when I remember sitting in an ice cream shop in Kosice, Slovakia - and I noticed a much older married couple enjoying ice cream together - but with no conversation, just silence. I remember feeling sad for them, in my youthful arrogance, thinking that they must not have a very good relationship if they don't even have anything to talk about! Now, several years later and with a little more "relationship experience" under my belt - I smile to think how beautiful of a thing it is to feel so comfortable with someone that just being together, sometimes in complete silence, is enough. That we don't always have to be talking to understand, feel, and share together. I love you babe!

  Posted by Picasa

Okay, we had a really fun day together! What more romantic and fun could a good ol' Canadian girl ask for as a fun date on our anniversary but to go skating!!!! We have our own skates here that we recieved as gifts from my parents several years ago. They haven't had a whole lot of practice but we carried our skates in, expecting to find a rink full of Mexicans "trying" to stand up on ice. Honestly, the laugh was kind of on us. I don't think I have laughed so hard in a long time. First of all, Benjy is just a funny guy and I could clearly see that, at first, he was just appeasing me. We were shocked to see all these Mexicans figure skating and really being actually good on the ice. And then ther is me - nearly 6 months pregnant and a little timid from not having done this in long time and not wanting to fall on my unborn baby....and then there is Benjy who hasn't skated many times himself (receiving an abundance of heckling from my Canadian family as we would play hockey out on the pond!). At one point, we came across a not-so-good-skater who was losing control and Benjy pushed me in his way so he wouldn't be the one getting hit! It struck Benjy as funny that we were the whitest people out there, with the most authentic equipment (his CCM skates!) and we were the most inexperienced. How could this be?!?!? Okay - so they weren't that good of skaters - but compared to what we expected to see - it was impressive. Anyway, we laughed really really hard, had a lot of fun, saw a good movie together and ate some classic Mexican tacos! Here is to another many, many years of fun together!

  Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Erna Wiebe said...

What a classy couple you are - and quite brave, no less. You look pretty professional on your skates. Anyways, Happy Anniversary and my wish for many more for you.
Eight years ago was a much nicer day then what we experienced here in Canada. It was bitterly cold and windy - snow and blowing snow. But then - love always keeps one warm. I love you guys and pray for you always.
Grandma

Anonymous said...

Care,
Happy Anniversary my friend! Hard to believe it has been that long, but I guess we celebrated 7 this year so you must be further along than that. Sounds like you had a great day! I know there will be many more great years to come for you guys. Love and miss you! Only 7 weeks left for me, how about you?
Later Tara