Friday, September 04, 2009

We are Back

We made it back to Mexico City, tired and worn...and pulling out the inner strength and endurance to pack up a house full of things and move to our apartment. We had help from my dear bro-in-law Burke who was an absolute trooper and carried box after box of books, toys, shoes, etc.. We are now slowly getting settled. It is coming along and I do believe we will be happy in our new place - cozy and looking forward to re-establishing old routines and beginning new ones as our kids grow and our family grows :)

I wanted to blog this because it melts my heart when I think about it and I don't want to forget it.... Our boys have been through moving transitions in their young lives and I like to acknowledge that and give them time to express feelings or frustrations about that. During the last visit to the old house I sat all the boys down in their empty bedroom and we reminisced about the last year of our life in that house. A chance to say good-bye and to remember the good and bad times we experienced within the walls of that home. It is interesting what kids come up with and remember. As the time was winding down I asked who would like to lead a prayer thanking God for our time there. Reece quickly volunteered and voiced this prayer to God: "Dear God, thank you for this house and please take care of it. Bring a new family to live here if that is supposed to happen and help them." He said a few more things but what touched my heart is that while I was more wrapped up in the past, he saw to the future and the promise it held for someone else. I learned from my little 6 year old in that moment. I place a lot of value in memories and in past events and he very naturally taught me to see the good that can come in the future and to someone else from our change. In this change for our family, I am likely a bit more sentimental as I ponder the arrival of another sweet son, the way my three boys are changing and taking on new roles, and wondering what our future holds...but I am thankful today for this change - amidst the clutter and unpacked boxes that we step over and manuever around to try to get settled....I feel am optimistic hope peeking through and brightening this apartment. Good things are ahead of us and that is worth celebrating!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaww .... very perfectly penned! Tell Reecer it warmed Auntie's heart too ....

Do you have phone yet???

Char

Devin said...

That's so true! It's so sweet that he was able to see that...awww! :) Praying for you as you adjust to the new place!

David and Olivia said...

So, just catching up on your blog and this is the cutest. Kids do have such a good view of things, don't they? :)