Monday, September 07, 2009

Fascinating...

It is my third time around as a Mom to witness the incredible process of language development in my child and yet it has not ceased to amaze me at how it actually happens. Pierce has jumped forward in the last few weeks in leaps and bounds. It seems like before we left for our summer travels, he was barely speaking anything understandable....now I feel like he says everything! (maybe not everything understandable....but he is truly talking!) I just can't get over how it all comes together in their little brains. I know he has been understanding for a long time and I guess all those words just sort of settle in the brain until they make enough sense to come out as language - in words, phrases, sentences. It is lots of fun and has provided entertainment for all of us in the family. As all little guys, Pierce has some trouble forming certain sounds but it doesn't slow him down from attempting to express every thought (and he seems to have many!) He can't seem to make the "ssss" sound at the beginning of a word so here are some of his classic substitutions:
Wop it = stop it
Wanna whim = Want to swim
Woup = soup
Wump = jump
etc.. etc..

All this just to say that I think this whole "growing up" thing is an amazing journey - all the changes a kid goes through in such a little span of time. I am thankful to get to to witness it happening in my boys!

1 comment:

Devin said...

Boy, I will second that!! :-)