Friday, February 20, 2009

The Sounds of Mexico

 
Posted by Picasa

Depending on where you live in this big city, you are bound to encounter some or all of these sounds throughout the day - and especially at night....With time you get used to it and don't notice it that much...
*lots of firecracker sounds for any and every celebration
*loud music when people party (up to all hours of the night)
*roosters (they are known to be a bit confused as to what hour they are supposed to chime)
*large semi-trucks using their retarder brakes (again, often late at night)
*honking and traffic
*a lot of dogs barking

BUT, there is nothing, and I mean nothing as horrible as the most recent sounds we are having to adjust to in our community. I am a country girl - grew up on the farm but I jolted awake again last night at 4am to what I seriously interpreted as a young child screaming as though being severely maimed...Benjy quickly reminded me that all was okay - it was just the cats. Yes...nothing more than cats. Have you ever heard a cat moan or groan or send out a mating call or whatever the heck they are doing in the middle of the night???? It is an absolutely horrible sound. We are dog people....didn't care much for cats before all of this...and especially not lately! Anyone want to come and dispose of a couple of cats?!?

7 comments:

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

That's hilarious Care. i remember experiencing all of those sounds when I came to visit you. Yes I have heard cats make that sound. It is absolutely horrible and scared me to death the first time I heard it. Another reason why I do not understand the reason why people have cats!

Timbra said...

i do like cats, but cats in heat. . . icky sound!!! cats fighting. . . terrifying! i don't know, not much worse to me than hearing (and seeing) dogs attack each other or attack one dog, as a pack and watch them chase and mame and sqealing dog down the road. . . still awful though!

Timbra said...

oh, i should mention. . the dog thing was more the experience in fiji. . . we RARELY saw cats, probably because the stray dogs were so rampant!

Devin said...

I'm with you on this one...more of a dog lover. :-) Though, if you wanted to spring for a quick trip to Mexico for me and the littles, we could maybe take care of a few of them for you....

*hee hee*

Glad you got the book....I know, right? Longest email ever. It seriously took me all day. Well, it took me many minutes over several different parts of my day, anyway. I'm glad it seemed to be what you needed. Looking forward to hearing back your thoughts, when you have some free time!

Talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey, they're some guys that have a taco stand near us that I'm sure would pay top dollar market price to "dispose" of them for you. It'll be a win-win situation. Should I give you their number or their street corner?

-MLW

Jim said...

I feel your pain. We have cats that have actually taken up residence in a house adjacent to ours. You can hear them here:
http://cottrillcompass.com/blog/2009/the-cats-audio.html

So ... yeah. The pet population of Mexico City....

Toni Burns said...

I detest cats. Hope Cory doesn't see your offer to come disposed of them because he just might! Looking forward to seeing you (not the cats) in two weeks!