Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Another Year

So I celebrated my birthday last week - it was really a great day spent with my sweet boys and then lots of friends for an evening at the movies. And, of course, lots of birthday calls. And, this was my first birthday celebrated with facebook. Good grief. I had more birthday greetings than I celebrated years - from people I haven't seen or talked to in ages. Now, even I know, lots only remembered because it was posted off to the right :) But I ain't complaining! It was nice to know I was thought of. Thanks to everyone. I anticipate a good year ahead for me.

I am not the kind of person that cares about getting another year older. I love birthdays and I figure you may as well embrace them as a celebration rather than something to whine about. And, besides, I still feel really really young...and really really blessed...because I am. Both of those things!

Some sweet memories of the day come from my kids. Being 5, 4 and 1 - they are in the prime of birthday party life. Chase even asked me a few days earlier if I was going to invite him to my party. They left with Daddy the day before to finalize their suprises. Reece took the lead, reminding his Daddy what my cake needed to be like, and Chase suggested a new bat and ball as the perfect birthday gift. I had to close mouths several time the night before as the secret was hard to hold on to (and I am not one for a ruined suprise!) But - the most priceless thing is that Reece (who sleeps like a rock!) entered into our room at 1:50am to ask Benjy if it was time to prepare everything. Ya. Imagine Benjy's level of excitement at this point! He came back in again at 6:15 and so Benj honored him with rolling out of bed. I couldn't sleep either from that moment on...partly because of the clanging coming from the kitchen...but also because I was laughing and smiling at how fun it was to watch those two work as a team. Benjy couldn't find his slippers or something so he turned the closet light on and Reece was pegged behind him, completely anxious to get this all on the way. They went on down and before long Reece was whispering to me if I knew where the candles were?! (Benjy told me later that Reece said,"Dad I told you at the store we needed to buy new ones") I couldn't resist so I questioned why he might need candles...."Mom, just tell me where they are and go back to sleep!" :) Chase woke up in the middle of all this to "help out" and soon Piersen did as well. Benjy juggled the 3 boys, and the fine choice of raspberry white chocolate cheesecake into my bed for a breakfast birthday song! Pierce with his sweet tooth thought he was in heaven and ate most of the cake...and then the boys finished up making me a wonderful breakfast. They gave me a digital photo frame and so I am pretty happy about that too! Loved my day with my family. What a treat!

The life lessons I learned this past year of life have and continue to shape me into who I am . I can only pray for humility and faith to continue to look more like Jesus through my journey. Cheers to another year!

4 comments:

Timbra said...

happy birthday, late. . . i'm always late to the party, i just do not keep up on facebook very well. . . what sweet little memories. oh, it's great getting older, when it means you're a mama who gets to have new memories with sweet little ones wanting to celebrate YOU. . . i always love the stories about your sweet little guys!!! (all FOUR of them :)

Devin said...

Cheers is RIGHT! Happy Birthday to you too...you'll have to look me up on Facebook and be my friend! :-)

I totally laughed out loud when you mentioned that...between my hubby's blog post for me and all the emails from people writing on my FB wall, I had like 60 messages in one day! Whew! :) Good grief is right, but, it was pretty fun!

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

BOy did I love that story about Reece and Benj. I could totally picture it. You are more observant than I am about the Kate/Carson video. i didn't see the swipe. I will have to shrpen my eyes a little more. Talk to you soon. I promise. Love you

Timbra said...

thanks for all the sweet comments about our coming small one. . . of course i'll continue to update, have no fear!