Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Delight

I have had the idea of "delight" in my mind and heart today. It has been refreshing to think of a God who delights in me and a God who wants me to delight in Him. As I sit here in the living room, my boys are playing together - in complete peace and harmony - they are not having sharing issues, they are not playing rough and on the edge of hurting one another - they are simply playing together - Reece is singing and being silly and Chase is laughing really hard at him - that deep gutted laugh that is contagious to anyone who hears it. I think it is an appropriate illustration of "delight". They are enjoying each others friendship - really enjoying it - they are not playing together out of obligation or out of guilt - they are just delighting in the mome..........(okay - they are toddlers - it is all over - the peaceful delight has taken a quick turn for the worst and they are now fighting over the ball. back in a flash).........

So, I am back. Changing topics a bit - I feel like I have been having a few power struggles with the kids over these past few days. In my tiredness and lack of patience, I think I have focused too intensely on every moment of their behavior - trying not to let any little pout, feeling of frustration or imperfect interaction between them slip by. I have felt like I have been on them constantly and it has created a few days of frustration and discouragement on my part - and surely for them as well. So....I chose this morning to work less on them and more on me. To try and clothe myself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience (Colossians 3:12) and to simply try to follow my Father's example and delight in my children as He delights in me. How grateful am I that He sees the good in me and doesn't focus on my every shortcoming! It has been a good day. No, not a perfect one - but definitely better. I want my kids to understand boundaries, and discipline and respect....but I also want them to understand grace, forgiveness, and that I believe in them. I want to "delight" in them!

So...it looks like my life would be richer if I delighted more in both my Father and in my children! And I think about how I believe God desires my relationship with Him - He doesn't want me to spend time and walk with Him out of obligation or guilt, but because I delight in His goodness and He delights in me. Amazing!

No comments: