Sunday, February 11, 2007

And The Countdown Is On



There is something about reaching that point in pregnancy when you begin counting down in weeks rather than months that you realize how real it is becoming that another life is about to enter your world! I am at 34 weeks so more or less only 6 weeks to go! Unbelieveable! Needless to say - we are pretty excited around here! For my own recollection, I would like to record some of the sweet little memories from the boys as they await "their" baby (because I am positive that a day will come in the future when having another sibling around won't be so exciting - hopefully that won't happen till the adolescent years- ha!)

Reece is perhaps the most expressive about his excitement - commenting many times a day, if not per hour, how much he loves the baby. He has said things like "I cannot wait to see the baby", "Mommy, I will help you take care of the baby when she comes - if you need to take out the trash I will take care of the baby while you are gone", "I wanna sit beside you Mommy because you have the baby inside your tummy", and so on and so on. Last week when I was tucking him in for bed he began to ask questions about the baby - specifically if after this baby was born, does that mean we can't have any more? I explained to him that we hadn't decided yet. Reece's quick response was that we needed to have 9 babies! I smiled and said that was NOT going to happen but he resisted that idea. Searching for an answer that would meet 3 year old logic, I told him that we couldn't have 9 babies because they wouldn't fit in our van - there just aren't enough buckles. That seemed to satisfy him. Until yesterday....as we were driving in traffic the solution apparently dawned on him! "Mommy, IIIIIII know! How 'bout when I get just a little bigger I will buy my own car and drive your babies around!" (his wheels never seem to stop turning!) His enthusiasm really has made this pregnancy very special. He remains strong in his hopes to have a sister. In my desire to prepare him for either we talk often about how neat it would be to have another little brother too. I explained to Him that God knew if our baby was a boy or a girl and whatever gift He gives us we will be so happy with. His response: "nahhh. Jesus already knows I want a sister." Hmmmmm - time will tell. Reece doesn't have a lot of patience in his busy little life to wait too long to feel the baby move - but he has once or twice and he thinks that it is pretty neat. If he/she isn't moving when he tries to feel it - he shakes my tummy around and tries to get a reaction. Reece asked me one night a while back if the baby likes it when we talk to "her". "Of course", I said. So he looked at my tummy and said, "hi baby - what are you doin'? - what do you see in there? - is it dark?" and then he sang "Jesus loves me" to "her". Very sweet.



Chase, being a little younger, doesn't really grasp what all this "baby" stuff is all about (affirmed by the fact that this morning as he was pointing to his own body parts and naming them, he came to his own tummy and stated "baby"). However, he has begun to lead our prayers and always lists everyone in the family, including "baby". He enjoys giving zerberty kisses to my tummy and will share kisses and hugs to the little one. When he sees little babies out in public or gets to be around friends of ours with babies, he is very sweet and wants to hold them. I think he is really going to be a good big brother too. He is officially done with his pacifier and has adjusted pretty well (not without some tears, but better than I was expecting). He says "I big" and although he is still my baby - it will be a real blessing to watch him grow into his new role.

  Posted by Picasa


So...pray for us as we get ready for this change in our family. We have had all the "encouraging" things said to us like..."oh, get ready - when the kids outnumber the parents, it is all over" and "the adjustment from 2 to 3 is much more difficult than the one from 1 to 2" and so on....but if you have any truly encouraging advice - send it our way!

3 comments:

flee said...

Oh Care...you are totally going to love it! In my opinion, it hasn't been that bad at all. In fact, the relationship between Asher and Sydney is a very special one. She really loves him and says his name all the time. And he is SO tender towards her and is so much more attentive to her than he was to Sienna, and alot of that may have to do with age. And in the last six or so months, Sienna has become more of a mommy to Sydney...she really looks out for her and makes sure she has whatever she needs. They all love each other. And when they are all getting along, it is the sweetest music to my ears. They all make each other laugh quite a bit. Asher likes it when Sydney comes up to his room to "hang out". So...I think you will find that having three is fun because your boys are already so excited about it. Yes, it's challenging, but you won't be able to imagine your lives without Emerson or ? He/she really will complete your family. I love you and am praying for you in these last weeks.

Flee

flee said...

BTW...you look great!! Thanks for posting some pictures!

Erna Wiebe said...

Carolyn: Just think of it this way - you were #3 and we loved you, too before you were born. You were a good baby - someone for Char to play with as Bruce was quite into the farming business. I remember hot summer days - taking you along in the old quarter ton truck while we combined in the Flats. O! So hot and you slept on the seat and the next year you came along in the tractor while we were haying and slept on the fender ledge inside the cab. It'll be wonderful and you will adjust so quickly. I am praying for this baby's safe passage into this world and look forward to being there when she/he arrives. Take heart - God is good.