Monday, August 21, 2006

We All Survived the Big Day!

Yes - Reece's first day of school has come and gone and we are all still okay! The reality of dropping our baby off at a foreign school was a big step for our family - but we are thankful to God that He takes care of us...as He always faithfully does...

Reece came prancing down the stairs this morning at 6:45am - unexpectedly beating the alarm - and forcing his Mommy to wipe away the early tears that were caused by listening to an emotional song that was serving as a prayer for him today. He was quick to pull out all the books from his backpack that I was labelling the night before - checking that all was in place. He helped prepare breakfast (proudly cracking his first eggs!), played with Chase and got all ready in plenty of time for me to snap some cute pictures. As we got settled in the van he said with a hint of denial in his voice, "well, I am not going to school for a few months" (oops - and we thought we had prepared him sooooo well!). But we gently reminded him how much fun he was going to have. We arrived, said a prayer together and he hopped out - concerned that we had forgotten his all important and special backpack! He loaded it up on his back again and smiled as bravely as you could imagine as I snapped a few pics in front of the school door....
 
 
 

And then it all changed....

As we entered into the classroom he mustered up all the courage he could find to wave a greeting as he met his new teacher, Miss Anna. And then began to grow a little clingy as we hung up his backpack and he felt the inevitable about to occur. With a broken heart and lots of tears he asked why Daddy, Chase and Mimi couldn't go and prepare his suprise while I stayed with him at school all day. I kissed his head - and with all the courage I could muster - turned my back and walked out of the classroom - hearing his crying increase. We received reassurance from the secretary and other mothers that he would be fine....and we all sat in the van and shed our own tears. More than anything I felt like somebody had just punched me in the gut. My poor little boy - surrounded by spanish and what must have felt like total chaos to his little being. The morning passed extremely slowly - although we did feel better when we called and found out he had calmed down and was drawing with the other kids.

When we arrived at 1:15 to pick him up, we were so pleased to see him sitting at the table - intently working on a craft with the other kids. We watched him for a few minutes....I snuck the picture below and then we entered in. He smiled - but kept working hard - asking me if I would like to sit down beside him even though it was a little chair and maybe they had big chairs in the other room for me. :) He was very composed and very much enjoying his activity. When we asked if he was ready to come home, he got up and began to load up all his workbooks and supplies from the shelves. When I told him he would just be leaving his stuff at school for now - he replied with determination, "but I need it to do my homework." Well, to make a long story short - he was quite adamant that he needed homework, so I created a drawing assignment for him! (eager little beaver, eh?!) He refused to take off his uniform, talked off and on all day about his time at school and overall seemed very pleased with this step of his life! Praise God!

 

 
Reece with his teacher, Miss Anna - feeling much more confident now than a few hours earlier!

We celebrated with a little suprise for him and then headed out to meet his good friend Kate for banana splits! I am thankful for the opportunities I believe this experience will do in Reece's life. I am thankful for a husband who is such a good Daddy to Reece and shares so much love and concern in all things in ours sons life. I am thankful that Mimi was here to share the day with us. And I am thankful for all of your prayers. We are doing fine! Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Care...I just felt my stomach knot up reading that post. I know that was so hard for you, but so necessary. Way to go! And I knew Reece would do great. So glad it went well. I dropped Asher off this morning and for the first time since school started, he walked in by himself and went and sat in the hall in his spot all by himself. As he was walking in, a friend was also walking nearby and came and put his arm around Asher and they walked in together. I cried!! It hits me at moments. It's hard to believe that our kids, who were just babies, are being dropped off at school. I know how you feel. Today we all went and ate lunch with him and then went to recess with him. It's so awesome that we get to do that. Anyway...thinking of you all. Let me know how today went. Love you..flee

Craig,Leah,Lena said...

Carolyn! way to go! i'm have no idea what it's like to send your son off to school, but i'm sure it was with mixed emotions. Looks like he did really great and his blonde hair will fit in just fine!

I still can't believe you have a son old enough for school!
Miss you guys!
Leah

Erna Wiebe said...

Seeing pictures of Reece all decked out in his school uniform, makes this "school business" so real. My thoughts and prayers were with all of you that first day and following. I can't imagine having to do all these things without God to help us through. What a mighty God we serve.
Good going, Reece and mom and day and precious Chase.
I miss you guys so much.
Love,
Mom