Saturday, August 19, 2006

Preparing for School

Okay - so the countdown is on. Reece's first day of school will be on Monday. We have found a school that will accomodate our desire to allow him to go for only a couple of days a week instead of the typical full time Kindergarten that goes five days a week. He is just 3 years old and for where we are at in our thinking, we want to slowly move into the "school thing" and so we feel really glad that this school was willing to work with us. The school is about a 5 minute drive from our house. We went on Friday to get his little uniform and books and all that stuff. I was feeling (and still am and will for sure be on Monday and possibly days following)emotional about it all - but I have also been smiling a lot to see how excited Reece is. We went shopping for school supplies and the highlight for him was picking out his own backpack! He has already paged through his school workbooks (eager to begin working in them) and has showed us numerous times how he can load everything into his backpack and carry it all - feeling quite proud of how strong he is! I am having good childhood memories of this time of the year - as new school supplies was a big thrill for me - labelling everything, laying it all out on the living roon floor, packing it all up, etc.. etc.. So - I am happy to be able to be doing it all again with my little boy.

I think Reece will do well overall because he loves to learn! I think he will enjoy the routine, make new friends, learn spanish, etc.. My heart feels for him as he takes this step - but especially as he will be thrust into it in a different language. Please pray for his little heart on Moday morning - and pray for mine too! :)

I will post how the first day goes - pictures and all - so check back! Thanks for your prayers!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

We are in the same boat! Connor starts school Monday too. He will be in preschool and it is two and a half hours every morning Mon to Frid. Cyrus took Monday off so we can both take him and pick him up the first time. I am excited for him and nervous. Connor is so excited. He has life threatening food allergies to milk and eggs so that makes me nervous. I know God will watch over him and the school is prepared. I am still nervous though. I will pray for Reece and please say a prayer for Connor. Check out our blog for all the details. Take care and have fun Monday.

Erna Wiebe said...

Well, Care and Benjy, I shed tears, too when I think about Reece going off to school and he is only 3. The world is just sooooo big but God is so much bigger and that is a comfort. I continue to pray for all of you as your have to let go a little bit at a time but children are like boomerangs - they always come back and that is great.
I love and pray for you always,
MOM