Friday, April 28, 2006

Hafta smile but you wanna scream!

Today has been an interesting one so far. I woke up earlier than normal to get things ready for the coffee shop since we open for breakfasts on Fridays. I was baking cinnamon rolls, preparing little sandwiches, cutting fruit - all in good time...when I hear the pitter patter of little feet and a smiling Reece coming around the corner into the kitchen. He is up early - I think he just has the ability to know where to be when he is not exactly wanted. There is no "good morning" just "oooohhhh, I wanna help!" I decide to forget the attempt to distract with a better option or say "no" and have to explain it away. Instead, I send him to the bathroom to wash up and save him a little dough to roll out and make his own pan. Of course, he is elated! And it becomes all worth it to me that I chose to include him as this dialogue unfolds...

Reece: Mommy, I am gonna make one for Chaser.

Me: Reece, you are such a good brother. He will really like that.

Reece: And, I am gonna make one for God and Jesus too - because He is my brother too. I have 2 brothers.

Me: Well, that is true.

Reece: And one for Daddy, and Stephen, and Maddi..... These ones aren't for the coffee shop.

Me: I think everyone will be happy that you are making them special cinnamon rolls.

Okay, sweet moment of my son wanting to do something for others. A few hours later. Reece is still trying to help others (and himself) but at a little different angle - and not as fondly received by his Mom this time.

I have left the room for a moment - called back into the kitchen by the ringing telephone....and I come upon Reece, up on a chair - with his back to me but giggling as he feeds Chase...du-du-du-du-du-duhhh CINNAMON ROLLS! But not the ones he made. No, it could never be that easy. He has managed to get his little fingers all over the tops of almost the entire tray of rolls, picking out the middles, and the icing off the tops.

This is the "I want to scream" part. But Chase is so happy, mouth full of sweet icing and Reece has that "I got caught but ain't I cute" look. I try to hide my smile and sternly address him...

Me: Reece, what are you doing?

Reece: (innocently and obviously) Eating cinnamon rolls.

Me: Yes, but why are you eating off of every one on the tray?

Reece: Because we're very hungry!

Me: Reece, those were for the coffee shop. Now what are we gonna do?

Reece: (plainly) You can make more.

So, lesson learned for me: remember that just because toddlers might be short - they can climb or find a way to get to whatever they shouldn't!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a great story! So cute but so maddening at the same time, hey? What did you do? Did you make more? The coffee shop looks great! I am so impressed to hear about all you are doing there. You are such a great mom and doing a great job there! I love you my friend.
Tara

Erna Wiebe said...

Hey, Care: These stories are so touching. I love them, even though it wasn't too funny at the time. But you have a trustworthy helped, you can't deny that. What a giving heart Reecer has.
Hope to enjoy these experiences with you soon.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Goodness... I suppose every mother could write a book! I love your two adventurous boys, and I love how you and Benjy love them!

Much love to you, Carolyn!
Ang