Sunday, May 07, 2006

I Love Suprises!

Okay, I love suprises....but I hate finding them out before it is time!

My husband knows this and he has really been good at suprising me! With Mother's Day coming up, I expected a nice dinner at a good resteraunt or something like that - but one day he got a suspicious phone call from the States - and I was on to something. BUT, like I said, I hate a spoiled suprise so I pressed him a little, just enough to show interest, but then let it go. Then I noticed an email in the inbox - that if I opened - I knew it held valuable information! SO...I didn't touch it! Then, I received a call from one of our AIM guys who was home in the States for a visit and was returning to Mexico City the next day - he assured me he had our package (which my instinct told me to delcare to him that it probably was a suprise and to keep it that way) but I changed the subject to his flight schedule instead - thinking we were safe. Nope - as the conversation ended - he said IT. I responded with a, "uhhh - what?" and he tried to recover....but the cat was out of the bag...and my heart sank - while, at the same time I was very excited at what Benjy did for me. What a great man!

I think a great part about suprises is the joy it brings to the one doing the suprise - not just the receiver of it. So, I decided I would not ruin Benjy's planning and would just act like I had no idea. So, I called Bryan back in the States and told him not to tell Benjy he slipped up and we would just play it out as though I had no idea. Great. Right? Until Benjy gets home that evening - asks if Bryan called, we discuss his flight schedule, and then he looks me in the eye and says something like, "and did he say anything else?" I am not good at lying so tried my best to be casual and act normal but he knew immediately (that's what 7 years of marriage will give ya!)that I knew. I even tried to deny it - but he didn't buy it. So, I first thanked him for the great gift and then apologized that his hard work was ruined and asked him to not to talk anymore about it with me and just continue on with his whole plan of how he intended to suprise me in the first place - as if I had no idea!!! Doesn't this just stink. I am not one of those people who snoops and tries to figure things out (I remember when I was young and accidently saw my sister wrapping my Christmas present and it ruined my Christmas because all I could do was focus on how I was going to fake my reaction so she wouldn't know!) People who snoop should find this stuff out, but I was making effort to not know and now I know. Grrrr.

But - there are lots of details about this gift that I don't know so I will just enjoy thatpart of it. And, to bring some redemption to this whole scenario....I won't tell you what I am getting until I really get it. So...suprise!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew.... I thought you were gonna say that you found out about Benjy and me...

Uh, I mean... forget that. Forget you just read that. It means nothing. Really... NOTHING.

Happy Mother's Day?

:-) Girl, you better know I'm joking! I only include this for any curious blog readers who might believe I'm a homewrecker. Not so!

Much love to you and your boys!

Ang

Erna Wiebe said...

CARE: Now I am all excited and curious about what your surprise is going to be. But I know exactly how you feel. Faking a surprise is the hardest thing on earth to achieve.
I almost let the cat out of the bag the other day too, while talking to Benjy but you didn't seem to notice anything abnormal so we will just leave it at that.
Happy early Mothers Day,
Love,
MOM