Thursday, March 23, 2006

They're Gone...All Gone!

You know those moments when you know it is time for something to happen and so you prepare yourself for it, emotionally. Well, don't get me wrong - I am not referring to anything tooooooo life changing - just the big boy haircut of Reece. Yup. He has been looking like a mad scientist (or scarey hair as Auntie Betsy calls it!)these days and so we decided to go get it cut. I knew we needed to actually go beyond the teeny little trims we had done before, where no one - but us - actually noticed it was a cut. But...I honestly expected we could come away with a few little curls still remaining. And - apparently I was wrong. They are gone. And only time will tell if they will grow back (I don't think so). He looks very very handsome - but I will be honest, I had to fight back a few little tears. He looks like a true boy, life will be easier around here with no fight to comb through the curls - but still. As I write this I am wondering why haircuts are a big deal too me...perhaps because it reminds me that my kids are growing up. A good thing...but I am a sentimental one at heart! Anyway - it has been cute because last night I kept asking Reece "oh no - where are your curls?!?" and he would giggle and say, "they're gone - on the floor" and I would pretend to cry. He loved it.

But just now as he woke up and cuddled with me on the couch, this conversation unfolded (much more significant than any lost curls!).

Me: Reece, I really like your haircut. You look handsome. We use "cute" to describe babies and little boys - like Chase....and '"handsome" to describe big boys and Daddies. What would you like to be....cute or handsome?

Reece: I want to be a Christian.

Kids have a way of reminding you what really matters! So, that is it for now. I will post a picture soon - I need to take some first.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwww..... I love your sweet sentimental self!

And that Reece! My goodness... I haven't heard any sermons lately as good as that one. Glad you shared.

I just want to be a Christian too!

Erna Wiebe said...

Oh! Carolyn...I have to agree with Angie....what a great sermon. Nothing can be more rewarding then to know that someone wants to be a Christian. I know God smiled when he heard those words.
I am so thrilled. God bless you and Benjy as you walk the pathway of life holding to God's Almighty hand.
I love you so.
MOM

Miss McMillan said...

Hey Carolyn! I love reading about your little guys. Man, they are too cute- very squishable! :) I hope I get the chance to meet them one of these days. It is fun to hear about how things are going for you there.
Love from Canada,
Harm