Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Prayer and Power

 

We all know that prayer is important....maybe that is the reason it isn't always easy to do. In an attempt to teach my kids about prayer and how much God loves to hear their thoughts and thankfulness, I have explained to them that prayer gives you power. The other day, I couldn't help but smile when I heard Chase be first to volunteer to pray and say this, "I'll pray, I'll pray because I wanna have lotsa power!" Recently, Reece has been praying for those who don't have money or things. And little Pierce is our prayer warrior, without voicing a recognizable word! He loves to grip his little fingers together and hear what others have to say to God on his behalf...anxiously awaiting the AMEN so he can start again. I love it!

 

7 X 7 Praying for My Kids...

I would like to grow in my prayer life in many ways, but also specifically in praying for my children. I got this idea from Angie Smith (a lady whose blog I read) and then adapted it a bit to fit my own desires. Her challenge was to pray specific prayers of Scripture throughout the day for her children... I am going to challenge myself to, as she says, pray these 7 prayers for 7 days and see what a powerful difference it will make! Wanna join me???? Grab an index card and voice these prayers for your kids to our powerful Father throughout the transitions of an ordinary day!

1. When they wake up: "Let the morning bring (child's name) word of your unfailing love, for (he/she) has put (his/her) trust in You. Show (her/him) the way (she/he) should go, for to you (he/she) lifts up her soul." (Adapted from Psalm 143:8) And please remind (child's name) today that "Your steadfast love never ceases...Your goodness never comes to an end...they are new every morning and great is Your faithfulness" (adapted from Lamentations 3:22,23)


2. When they are getting dressed: "Therefore, as God's chosen child, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Lord, help (childs name) bear with others and forgive whatever grievances (he/she) has against others. Help (him/her) forgive as the Lord forgives (him/her). And over all these virtues, help (him/her) put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." (Adapted from Colossians 3:12-14)


3. While they are eating: "Teach (child's name) the secret of being content in any and every situation whether well-fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. Teach (him/her) that (he/she) can do everything through him who gives (him/her) strength." (Adapted from Philippians 4:12-13) "Teach (childs name)that (he/she) is blessed when hungering and thirsting for righteousness, and will be filled" (adapted from Matthew 5:6)


4. When they go out of the house: "(Name of child), do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-His good, pleasing and perfect will." (Adapted from Romans 12:2)


5. While they are taking a bath/washing hands: Lord, give (name of child) clean hands and a pure heart, and let (him/her) not lift (his/her) soul to an idol or swear by what is false. Let (him/her) receive blessing from the Lord and vindication from God (his/her) Savior. Let (him/her) be part of the generation of those who seek him, who seek your face, O God of Jacob. (Adapted from Psalm 24:4-6)


6. When they are going to bed: "The Lord Your God is with you; he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, be will rejoice over you with singing." (Zephaniah 3:17) and (child's name) will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make (him/her) dwell in safety" (adapted from Psalm 4:8)


7. While they are sleeping: "I pray that (name of child) will do everything without complaining or arguing, so that he/she may become blameless and pure, a child of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which he/she shines like a star in the universe as he/she holds out the word of life-in order that he/she may boast on the day of Christ that he/she did not run or labor for nothing." (Adapted from Philippians 2:14-16)

2 comments:

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

Care- Saw this to on Angie's wonderful blog. I will definitely join you in this. I love the fact that you tell the boys that prayer gives you power. What a great explanation. One that even adults can't grasp. Love Chaser's desire to have "lotsa power." You are such a great example of a wonderful creative mom. Love you!

Jen Mooney said...

What a wonderful idea. I hope to do something of the same as each day unfolds with my new brood. I know days will go by where I'll barely keep my head above water but those are the days when prayer is the most important. Thanks for the idea and good luck to you!