Friday, October 26, 2007

Random Thoughts...

Tonight I am fighting the temptation to wait to post on here until I download my pictures. My mind is full of many random things. It is cold here. Yes - I know, I am from Canada and now live in Mexico - BUT...you won't believe it until you experience the truth that I feel colder here than I remember ever feeling in the snowy, Saskatchewan winters. Just imagine - cement, tile, no heating system. Yup. I am cold. My three boys are asleep. My husband is resting and fighting against the flu. I am tired. But I sense the goodness of God all around me. I am well taken care of in so many ways. I am thankful for our home. No, I am not completely settled as far as organizing and hanging pictures, etc.. - but it feels like home anyway. My kids love it here. I smile when I think of how many hours they have logged out there on the playground, on the bike, with the dogs, with so many new friends. Yesterday I was so happy to look out the front door to see a pile of my boys' toys dumped on the sidewalk and a bunch of kids playing together with them. Several women conversing on the bench in front of our door. It is good to be around people. We are making new friends and that always makes life special. At the same time, it is difficult to ignore the cultural differences that exist for us. Us missionaries have shared several significant conversations and prayers recently about truly understanding Mexican people - how to motivate, how to read social cues, how to understand, how to be aware if we are offending in some way, how to be friends irregardless of their interest in Jesus or not. People are people - but cross-culturally there are deeper things that exist that I am noticing and experiencing more now than ever. And yet, through all those language and cultural barriers - God is working. It is humbling. I see simple examples of His work. I feel Him stirring my personal faith. I need to be stirred and I pray for a receptive heart to the ways He desires to grow me. I think when you mix missionwork and motherhood you are asking for a pretty wide open door to always be stretched. My kids are precious and although there are days when it is pretty crazy with three so young, tears come to my eyes when I think of blessed I am to have them in my life. They are full of life, wonder, energy, and goodness (most of the time - ha!). The same little creatures that can make me want to pull my hair out can melt my heart just like that. We had a "parenting class" through Reece's school and it has brought to light lots of reflection on how we are doing with this all important job of raising children. God is gracious. It is good to reflect on our responsibility and to re-focus on how intentional we have to be. I am also learning so much from Benjy as of late. He is a good, good man. I am proud of who he is and can see God teaching, growing and using him. He is a good husband. I am lucky. He is a good Daddy - my boys are lucky. His birthday is Sunday so we will celebrate him! I should sign off and get some rest. Like I said - this is a random post but good for my heart to communicate how thankful I am.

5 comments:

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

Happy birthday Benj! Loved your post Care. Looking back I did go on your babymoon and so did Mom. :) Love you!

Unknown said...

It was great to read your thoughts. I could sense they were truly from the heart and out of love and feeling blessed by God. We love you there and the work you are doing.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Did you get the email I sent a couple of days ago?
I think I might have an old email address. Let me know!

Anonymous said...

I, also loved your thoughts, Care. And I so wish I could have you come over and share my warm home with me. So often I feel so that it is so empty and then I stop and thank God for how graciously He cares and provides for me in sooooooo many ways. And He has blessed you so richly with 3 precious boys and a very special husband. I love you all so much.
Love,
Mom

Kristi said...

Hi Care,
It's still great to hear about your new home and what a blessing it is to your whole family. I've been thinking about you guys lately. Don't know when you leave for the retreat...hope we'll talk soon. Hope you have and wonderful time and that your heart is filled even more with good time with others. I still wish we could have been there. We love you,
Kristi