Monday, August 20, 2007

And He Is Off......To School





We sent our little boy to kindergarten today....yes he is only 4. It is one of those strange parent moments where your heart couldn't feel prouder...and yet so full and almost sad at the same time. I can't help but wonder why I am supposed to feel "ready" to pass him on to be given influence, care and direction by someone else for over 25 hours a week. That is a lot of time. And yet I also know it is an important step for him - that he will learn and grow and mature in ways that he wouldn't if he didn't head off to school. Good and sometimes difficult life lessons await him. I am excited for the way his mind and heart will stretch and grow from experiencing life in a classroom, making new friends, being creative and learning about our world. And it makes me feel all the more determined to heighten our influence on him with God, building character and values into his mind and heart.

Our day was good. Reece was excited this morning and got ready for his first real encounter with his new school. He thoughtfully said good-bye to his little brothers, reminding them he would be back to play with them, and wished us all a good day. He had a little bit of a difficult time being left, but we knew he would be okay once we left the scene. And that is what happened. When we arrived to pick him up he had a big smile on his face and shared with us the good things and the fun stuff he got to do. He especially loved recess as he got to play with Kate and Caleb. I am proud of him....and thankful that this first day is over.

I know that all parents believe this about their children but I will say it anyway - Reece is a special kid. I really think he "gets it". Although he did shed a few tears when I left him this morning I asked him what enabled him to stop crying and enjoy his day. His response tonight was: "God just helped me". He is memorizing Joshua 1:9 "Be strong and courageous and do not be afraid. The Lord your God goes with you wherever you go". I thank God tonight that His Word is taking root in his young heart. Mold him, Father, into a boy and a man after your heart.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

REECE: You have grown soooo big since I last saw you. What a brave boy you are - going to school and you are only 4. I am so thankful for this blog - it lets me enter your home and share a bit of your life so far away from here. Just know how much I love and pray for you. Have a good time at school. Am so glad that he has friends that he knows to spend his time learning with.
God bless........... all my love,
Mom

Kristi said...

Oh Carolyn,
I'm am so blessed by your faith! I guess because I'm not having to face that step yet I can honestly say I don't feel in the least bit ready; and my heavy control on my kids will mean that I will have to surrender and trust God big time when it's time to send them to school.
I am so encouraged and blessed by you sharing this with us. I love you guys and am so thankful to be considered your friend.
I guess I should send you a private email...
Love you guys so much,
Kristi

Janette said...

Hey friends,

Finally returned to your blog after a long time away. Sounds like your family is going through similar changes as ours. We'd be interested to know where you moved. We're still here in Iztapalapa. Stop by if you're in the area! :)

Peace, The Millers
www.joelandjanette.typepad.com

tim rush said...

Dude, who is that in the picture cause Reese isn't near that old!

Kim and I remember all to well those feeling of sending Q off two years ago. Not looking forward to going through it again next year.

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

Care
Please come back to the blog I miss you so much! Thanks so much for your sweet note on my blog. At least with that note I know you are still kickin'! That's amazing you said that about the girl dream because last Tuesday night Jared and I both had a dream that we were having a girl. Didn't want to put that on the blog in case it's a boy and he reads it down the road! Please email and blog about the new house! So excited to hear about everything including how big boy Reece has done with his school. Almost 1 month down!
Love you!