Sunday, December 17, 2006

Remembering My Dad

Today, December 17, marks two years since my Dad left us. In many ways it is really hard to believe that that much time has already passed since we last shared phone calls and visits - yet in other ways, it seems like it has been a lot longer. Although we certainly miss him, I personally am filled with peace today as I think about the "better life" that he has experienced since that day. Heaven seems more real to me now that I have such a close part of our family already there. I am thankful that we share that hope of reunion - and the comfort it gives us here in the meantime. Christmas time was always a favorite of my Dad's. Over the last few days I have been enjoying memories of childhood Christmases and many of those special thoughts seem to involve him - his love of prematurely guessing what he would receive, his annual words that said Christmas would not be much in our household that year - only to see his generosity poured out in gifts under the tree for all of us. The community Christmas programs he was always involved in. His love for "Christmas oranges" and a good family game of crokinole. I laughed at the memory of how he and mom disguised my brother's hand-held football video game (a big deal back then) in the hugest box ever - filled with heavy things like stools and old-fashioned milk jugs. We were all fooled. I love the way we ate our big meal on Christmas eve and then, in eager anticipation awaited the announcement that it was finally time to begin opening our presents. Christmas was always special....and remains that way to me now. I am excited about this season - and look forward to creating those special memories with my own children. I wish my Dad could be here to know Reece and Chase and our soon to come baby, but his memory is alive in our family. I will think of him as we read the Christmas story from the gospels this Christmas eve. My Dad was a good man with a uniquely good personality - Merry Christmas Dad - we love and miss you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, Such nice words! I don't know what it must be like to loose a father and being so... far away when it happened, but I do feel your grief and especially at this time of the season. This will be my first Christmas EVER that I am not sharing it with my grandparents. I have so... many mixed emotions. They were great people. I look forward to the day when I can meet them again. I know you feel the same way.
I hope you have a wonderful christmas with your hubby & kids. Just remember that you have lots of people back here in Canada that think of you often. Crystal

Daniel said...

Carolyn,
It is great to find your blog. I am praying for you. It must be hard to lose a father.

It is good to hear that you are doing well. Have a great holiday with your family.

James and Erin Henderson said...

Carolyn,
What a sweet tribute to your father. I know that from heaven, he can hear the words and feel the emotions of your heart. I sure wish we could have known him better.I think that we get to know him a little through you, though. You seem to have his way of making holidays and special occasions just that-special.
-Erin