Friday, September 01, 2006

House Rant

Okay, I don't know if it is just time to cleanse a guilty conscience or what - but I absolutely cannot believe that it is Friday again. And I had intended to get the house completely in order last week - HA! The days pass quickly and I feel a little behind in the clean-house accomplishment department. I had a good conversation with a girlfriend of mine (same stage of life with 2 young kids) and she reminded me of the importance of being realistic with regard to what we can expect to get done around the house at this stage in our lives and motherhood. Thank you Erin for your voice of balance. During the days the picture in my home is a couple of happy, active boys that I love to spend time with and enjoy - and a laundry basket that is more often overflowing to the floor than ever empty....other laundry baskets with neatly folded clean clothes that just have not made their way home into the drawers (my worst habit in the world!!!)...a normal scene of an obstacle course of toys strung along the floor...a kitchen floor with cheerios and other fun stuff to step over and around...a sink full of dishes that are waiting until the drying rack does the automatic job of drying the clean dishes...and so on. Oh - don't get me wrong - I have almost perfected the "ohhhhh, people are coming over mad dash of straightening up and it looking presentable" but in my heart of hearts, I am tired of living that way. I want to be on top of it - but I think the truth of it is that for me, it is a process and not a snap of the fingers change in my life. So - instead of feeling overwhelmed at the many, many things I lack in having a spotless and orderly house - I am going to chip away at it and focus on doing a little better every day - using my time more effectively - and continuing to enjoy what really matters in life! This week I am going to make a mental list each morning and I bet my house will look at least a little better next Friday! Here's to new habits!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Care...you know that those dishes will be there when you can get to them. It's hard when you finally get a minute to do that load of laundry/fold/put away and one of the kids wants to sit down and put makeup on (you don't know about this since you have boys; and by the way, don't think that if you have a girl someday that she won't want to do those things) or read together or whatever. Sometimes I think, "balance is boring...throw caution to the wind and live on the edge" but then, no one would have clean underwear if it weren't for me!!!!! All I'm saying is, we only have these guys and girls home for a short time, even shorter for you in Mexico. Do what you can do to stay afloat and know that very soon, you will have all the time in the world to have the most perfect house, if you so desire. I promise, along with so many others, it really flies by.
Sharing your frustration...love you..flee

Anonymous said...

Perfection is highly overrated.