Thursday, November 03, 2005

Child-like Confidence

Reece was drawing a picture this morning and he said, "look Mommy, I'm drawing". I answered him, "wow, Reecer - that is so great! You are so good." He turned his head to me and in his easy going style said, "yup...I am".

Jesus tells us that unless we become like little children we cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. This concept has certainly become more real to me after having kids and living with their childlikeness every day. I often marvel at their trust, their simpleness, their ability to be so honest and to forgive quickly. But today I was taught about confidence. I think Jesus wants us to be confident in who He has made us and is making us. He wants us to be confident in our giftedness and in using what we are good at for the good of serving others.

Isn't it funny how much we actually are like children in that we need reassurance, we need to be complimented, we need to be encouraged when we do something well. And yet, why do we have such a hard time receiving the much needed encouragement when it comes to us? Yes, humility certainly has its place in our lives, but maybe some of us need to tip the scale more towards the confidence side. I think we need to believe in ourselves more - well, not so much in our own goodness but in the goodness that God has put in each of us...and be able to say to ourselves, "yup - I am good!"

No comments: