Monday, August 08, 2005

A Sweet Smell!


Grass is a wonderful thing...and something that one shouldn't take advantage of! We consider ourselves pretty blessed to have some of it in our backyard! In one of the largest cities in the world - you see a lot of cement - and not so much grass. When we moved into our house one year ago, there was no grass but we asked our landlord if he would allow us to put some in at our own expense. There is a patio that we envisioned as a perfect place for our kids to have a little area of grass to play on. And, so we did it. And it is growing (the longer it is, the easier for Reece to pick it and share it with Chase), especially since we are in the rainey season right now. It got cut this morning and I loved the smell of it - I always have! It is amazing the way something like the sense of smell can take you to another place. The fresh cut smell made me miss home and reminded me of good childhood memories of running barefoot and playing outside on the farm for hours in the warm Saskatchewan summers. That world seems a million worlds away sometimes - but I am thankful for my family and friends who do such a good job of keeping in touch with me. And, especially for my Mom, who has taken to this whole digital camera idea - and sends me lots of pictures of all kinds of things. The most recent - a picture of the wheat fields - almost ready to be harvested. Thanks Mom - I feel so much more connected to home since you figured that camera out!

Recent pictures of the boys playing in the grass.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Carolyn, but I had to laugh when I read that first line... "grass is a wonderful thing" I was wondering what you were smoking down there in Mexico and what that had to do with being a missionary mom... - must be my job that makes my mind wander like that. Having said that - I can relate to the post, living in YK there is mostly rock and lakes with some small trees - I really miss Good Ol' Saskatchewan fields of green...
Tim

Anonymous said...

Care
I love your blog. It makes me feel so connected to you guys. I like the one about firsts very inspiring. Way to go Benj! 12 miles for an asthmatic in Mexico City is no easy task. Love you guys so much!

Anonymous said...

The comment above was me, Betsy. I will get the hang of this soon!