Friday, March 20, 2009

Can Anyone Relate??

Okay, so ever since I was a little girl I have had a fascination with "school-supply" kind of things - my conscience still won't let me forget about the year I lied to my Mom about "needing" a new eraser - just because I felt like everything in my new pencilcase needed to be new. Sorry Mom. But one of my favorite times of the year would be the end of summer and the days before a new school year - all of the school supplies purchased and labeled and I would lay them out on the floor and pack them into my backpack....then unpack them and repack them again in great anticipation of using them! Very fun. And I love, love, love the smell of crayons. And I love to color (I think it is therapeutic). To me it is nearly a CRIME to break a crayon or rip the paper off of it. So IMAGINE my life with three little boys who think that you are not alive if you have not, are not, or are not planning to destroy something, anything, just because. So instead of a neatly organized crayon box in my current home...I have a box filled to the top with little teeny pieces of all kinds of paper-torn, broken crayons. HELP! :)

So I took matters into my own hands yesterday...I bought "twistable crayons" - which I think is an amazing invention - and we had a short family training on "how to use these twistable crayons" with a visual demonstration! Included: a strong threat of if you are caught throwing or twisting too much crayon to cause breaking - you WILL be banished to only being permitted to use the "broken crayon box".

We have had one day of total success and I am smiling. :)

4 comments:

Su said...

I can totally relate-- I love crayons!

For my 21st birthday (in Scotland), one of my teammates bought me a crayon carosel & two new boxes of crayons! The Scots all thought it was shocking that not only I, a grown woman, should enjoy colouring, but also a handful of our teens got in on it, too. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Also, when we were newly married, Chad coloured a Snoopy in one of my colouring books green -- so he's been banned from my colouring books ever since. :)

Timbra said...

i do love school supplies still. . . . i have to tell you, those twistables. . . well, it's not just boys. . . alani twists them up too high and breaks them off as SOON as she gets a new pack and it's one of the two things i get "fly off the handle mad about" (that and pouring water out of the tub). . . she also peels (or eats) all paper off of crayons. . . she likes a "nakey" (naked) crayon only. . . ps. . . apparently Chicago just got a new sales tax (they've never had before) but there will be a tax excempt week sometime in august for school shopping. . . . good luck with the crayons!

Yuli said...

hahaha... you made me laugh! I saw your twistable crayons laying on your table on friday and I meant to tell you I had gotten some about a month ago and I think they are the coolest thing ever!!! haha... I bet your boys are loving it.

Unknown said...

Yes. I love school supplies and can wander down the paper/pens isle at stores for way too long. Dougle tried to stear me clear of them sometimes. I love having lots of pencils and pens availabe in every room of the house, as well as my drawer of crayons, markers, various paints, colored pencils and colored paper. Canaan is the exception to the boy beak 'em thing: half his fun lies in lining up the crayons and markers as he uses them. And he doesn't like broken crayons, but asks me to fix them instead! We'll see how Max handles them someday soon. For now, enjoy your twistables! Lucy