Sunday, March 01, 2009

How Far Is Too Far?

I think sometimes we have gone too far in this post-modern age. Everything goes. Everyone can think what they want to think. We pump our kids full of self confidence and "you can do anything" to the point where they don't even realize that sometimes you lose...sometimes you fail....not everything is always "ok". We tell our kids they can be anything they want to be - the sky is the limit (ha - no pun intended with what you are about to read!!) But maybe sometimes it is just too tough to confront it. Here is a perfect illustration. Tucking Chase in to bed a few nights ago....

Chase: "Mommy what are you gonna be when you grow up?

Me: "Well, I am kind of grown up and I am a Mommy. I really love being a Mommy. What do you want to be when you grow up Chaser?"

Chase: "I want to be a spaceship!" (with great wonder in his eyes!)

Me: "Really. A spaceship. That's awesome!?!?!" (I just didn't have the heart to crash his dreams!"

3 comments:

Another day in the life of Beau Hart :) said...

That's awesome! I can't wait for Anthony to grow up and come out with cool stuff like that, ha :)

Timbra said...

well. . . .don't go crushing him yet. Somedays. . i think mike's still holding out hope that he can be one of his two "growing up" options. . . a swimming pool or a vending machine! boys will be boys FOREVER!!!

Unknown said...

When I was little and was asked that question, I said I wanted to be a bunny rabbit. Canaan is getting old enough now (2 yrs 4 months) that he is starting to say funny things. It is great! I've enjoyed reading thru and catching up on your blogs/life. Peace...Lucy