Thursday, July 31, 2008

2 Too Close Calls...

Living in a foreign country has its downfalls. One of those being the inability to take some kind of security in an ambulance service, 9-1-1 advice, etc.. etc.. The reality of three small children - all of them boys - can stretch your faith a little in this area of every day life. I try not to think about it too much (even though I am freaky when it comes to rough and tumble play - only with respect to broken necks! - I am fine with potential broken bones as long as they aren't necks!) This week my heart has leapt out of my chest on two occasions.

First occasion. Monday. Mommy has this great idea to prepare a picnic lunch for the kids and their friends. We choose a shady spot under a tree...where the gardener just so happens to be pruning a tree. No big deal, so I thought. He was nearly done anyway...and we were all sitting on the blanket, enjoying a delicious watermelon! As the picnic winds down the kids run off to play...under the tree...where the gardener is now finished pruning and is sweeping up his results. One of the neighbor boys decides to grab the extra broom to try and remove whatever that thing is he sees up in the tree. My back is to this scene and I am in conversation with a friend of mine....suddenly there are several screams and I turn to see Chase running towards me, crying loudly, and the kids yelling about the large machetti (sp?) knife that fell out of the tree. The sharp point of it clipped Chase, millimeters from his right eye. It could have been so bad. He bled a bit, cried some. But thankfully is just fine. And I am too :)

 


Second occasion. Today. I am packing boxes for our move. Front door is open as all three boys are playing outside. Chase innocently leaves his little bike right in front of the steps. Reece screams, "Mommy - Pierce!!!!!!" I come running to see the poor baby laid out on steps, with the bike on top of him. He instantly has 2 huge bumps that are blue and swelling and a scrape to go with it. We were so scared and he was sooooo mad at us for trying to control the swelling with ice. But the ice and the special homeopathic cream from our neighbor friend brought the swelling down incredibly! Best guess is he tried to pull up on the bike and it rolled ahead down the steps, taking him with it. He is just fine. After he calmed down his silly self came back and we knew he was alright....with a few big bruises to show off!

 


Wow, we realize how quickly things can happen. I have had my fill of close calls for a while. I think I would like to update myself with a new First Aide/CPR course!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! I think I might have cried too from such a close call with a tree and knife! God is good! I love reading all your little stories. I am glad Reece is overcoming his fear of swimming and it gives me good time to dwell on future occasions when Canaan might be drawing race tracks in the neighbors cars (or whatever other creative things he decides to do). I guess living in Moscow (where everything is crazy expensive) gives us a distorted image of prices, but $100 fix sounded like a good deal to us! But, it still is a lot of money! Hope Chase can keep up his jobs!