Saturday, June 28, 2008

Mommy-ing, Milkshakes and Prayers!

As the weekend passes by, and I feel tired, I remind myself of the need to pray for my boys. I am reflective tonight and want to be better as a Mom. Sometimes it takes a gentle reminder or a good look in the mirror to realize that I need to refocus and renew myself - my habits - my patterns - as I parent day in and day out. I was looking back at my blog and reading old updates from when my family was smaller and my boys younger. Seems I had more energy. Seems I was more creative. Seems there was less discipline and more fun! Maybe it is the stage my family is at...but I want to pull some of that simple enjoyment back into my interactions with my little ones. I want our family life to be less chaotic and more full of peace. I want each little boy that God has placed in my life to feel so special and so uniquely loved. A few days ago Reece seemed a little "sensitive" and so I asked him if he felt he needed a special "Mommy Reece date - a time for just us to get a milkshake at McDonald's and talk together." I had no idea he would beam as much as he did. He was very quick to announce it to the family and create some jealousy in Chase! So - we are in the process of scheduling this very important Mommy - son milkshake time (yes, I promised the same to Chase! how could I not?!?) These little boys demand a lot from us and I admit that I am not very good at filling myself up before each day takes off! I want to change that because I trust that it will influence each moment throughout the day.

I would humbly and thankfully accept any advice or ideas you might use in your life to be a better Mom! Pray for me! This "Mommy" job is a big task!!

"Father, I pray for your loving protection over our boys tonight. As they grow and reach new stages, please help me to grow as a Mom. I want to be better. I think I too easily forget the importance of relying on You - praying for patience and peace as I interact with them - playing, disciplining, directing, encouraging, reinforcing...I want to give them my best and I don't always do that. I often don't do that. I pray for the wisdom and the strength to provide them with a home life rich in relationship, communication, and dependance on You. Sometimes it feels as though the days pass by so quickly - but I want to enjoy the moments I have with them now. Give Benjy and I insight into what is best for each of them and to provide boundaries, discipline and love that equips them to be men of character in a world that lacks it. Give us consistency, intention, and endurance in this great task of parenting. Thank You for being the perfect Father - may we do our best to model Your love and grace to our kids. I want each of them to know and love You and Your Son. Thank You for the honor of being parents - we need You and humbly ask for lots of wisdom and guidance each step of the journey. In Christ, Amen."

5 comments:

Tim and/or Wyatt said...

My Dear Friend,
I have no advice to give you, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone in your thoughts and prayers today! I too feel the same as you and that prayer is the exact one that I needed to pray today. I too want to be a better mom with more patience. It is such a big job and I know how you feel!
Love and miss you,
Tara

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

What a humble and universally relevant prayer. I love you Care because you don't act like you have it all together as a Mom. Although in my eyes I look up to you as a sister in Christ and as a Mom. The patience, love and understanding that you have for those wonderful boys is remarkable to me. I'm glad I am walking this journey with you. I love your heart and I love your willingness to say "This task is hard, but I love what I do." You are genuinely striving to be a better Mom and I love you for it.

Anonymous said...

This is something I have experienced many times as a parent. It seems that any time we stop and evaluate ourselves, we are never doing it as well as we would like(this goes for most other areas of life as well). For me it was the stopping and evaluating that was always the big step-simply to remind myself of my priorities. From what I saw, you do a good job with the boys, but like I said we always want to do better. God will provide.

Su said...

As ever, I am advice-free (there is a very good reason that I am NOT a mother); however, I will be praying for you.

Unknown said...

Carolyn,
Yes, I just have one sweet boy for now and some days I wonder how I am going to do it for the next 18 years! But, I must say that I like reading your blogs because you seem like you don't have it all together, but you do your best and try to have fun and remember the main purpose of life is God. So, no advice here either. I will remember you too in my prayers as we pray daily to be better parents and servants of Christ. God bless! I love the milkshake idea. I will have to use that when Canaan gets a bit older!
~Lucy