Wednesday, April 30, 2008

An Obvious Difference

I think that sometimes, as parents, we are around our own kids so much that we don't notice how much they have grown or how their "looks" have changed because it happens so gradually. Others are often the ones who comment on the differences.

Just last week - Thursday to be exact - Chase woke up pronouncing words (specifically his "s" with a consonant) correctly. He tip toed into my room early in the morning and said, "let's go downSTairs for breakfast". For some reason it was very evident to me that he prounounced it correctly (since for months he has been saying "downTairs") I sat up and asked him to say it again. He repeated it and so I made a BIG deal about how he had said it right. He laughed and, I could tell, felt proud of himself. So I began to question and prompt him to say other "s-consonant combination" words. He correctly said SPoon, STop it, STay there. It just came together for him - he got it!!! It was fun. We laughed and shared the milestone with the rest of the family. I felt it a little odd, and yet, neat, that I noticed his change overnight.

Upon reflection, I wonder if God sees that kind of change in us. Sure, I believe that He sees our spiritual growth as a process. He is incredibley patient with us and watches our transformation that must, at times, seem to take a long time! But I would like to think that He is so attentive to me that He smiles and laughs and takes joy in the morning that we wake up finally having conquered a struggle, a sin or a doubt. When we finally accept what He has been trying to teach us all along.

That picture motivates me to tune in to where I am at. Am I growing? Am I farther along than I was a few years ago? Sometimes I am not sure, but it makes me want to grow and be transformed into a more Christ-like image. For all of the patience He has extended my way....I would like to gift Him with an obvious change - even if it is only seen gradually. After all, transformation is the point isn't it! I pray that the fruit of Him at work in my life produces an obvious transformation.

No comments: