Thursday, November 29, 2007

Celebrating 9 Years Together



Yesterday, November 28, marked nine years of marriage for us! We had a special day together - especially enjoying an evening at the movies and a quiet dinner with good conversation.

In honor of our 9 years, I thought it would be fun to list 9 things I love about our marriage or my husband - in no particular order....

1)I love that we are feel really comfortable with one another - we have no inhibitions in the "weird" department and we have shared a whole lot of laughter and fun. He, especially, makes me laugh a lot. Benjy is a funny guy. Even though I have heard, and heard, and heard most of his stories or lines....it is always good to see the fun he brings to a room. Our 9 years have been very fun!

2)I love that Benjy is the type of man that is who he is. He is strong and direct and honest. He teaches me a lot about saying what needs to be said. He is very perceptive and sees things before many people do. I have really grown to trust and depend on his perception of situations and people.

3)Benjy is very giving. His natural tendency is to give. I have seen him the most content and happy when he has given to someone else - friends and especially family. I have been on the receiving end of many of his givings! But it is more than just material things - Benjy has a deep desire to make a difference in people's lives and gives a lot to his relationships. He is a good mentor. A loyal friend. A faithful husband. A good, good father. I have been humbled by the care he has shown to his immediate family - especially his parents.

4)Our marriage has had a good share of adventure. We like to experience new things together and have loved our travels. We have seen a lot but dream about doing so much more and travelling many more places together.

5)We have been blessed with three beautiful sons. Benjy is a family man - I clearly remember him expressing his desire to be a good father when we were dating. Benjy is intentional in his parenting. He is patient. He is helpful. He often brings a presence of reflection to our home - leading conversations between us about what we can be doing better for our boys in regards to leading, disciplining, teaching. And he is a fun Dad! The boys love to wrestle and play with him. From a mom's perspective - I couldn't feel more honored and blessed to be raising three boys with him at my side.

6)Benjy seeks growth. I believe he has had this quality all along but I have come to notice it and appreciate it probably most in this past year or two. He wants to become better as a man and wants to know himself better so that he can do just that. I love that about him - he pushes himself to become more of what Jesus wants him to be. His faith journey inspires me to know and walk with God.

7)Benjy is a good story-teller. We like to tell stories to our kids and I love to listen in on him - he is pretty creative for a guy who thinks he has no creativity. And if you know Benjy, he has told you a story or two! It is hilarious to me to watch him interact with others. His humour is...shall we say...unique - and so many just don't "get him". He has pulled his fair share of pranks in his life - lots of fun!!!

8)I think we have a pretty well rounded marriage and I like that. By well rounded I mean - we enjoy a lot of different things. We love sports, we love theater, we love travel. It makes things interesting and adds some variety.

9)Benjy is a protector and a provider. He is a lot more grounded and realistic in the things that I am naive about (like financial security, safety, future). He thinks about taking care of me and the kids and makes me feel very taken care of.

I feel very blessed in my marriage. We aren't perfect and we have our struggles - but I do believe we are perfect for each other! When I look back on the past nine years with fondness I trust that we have a strong and bright future together. I am glad that Benjy is the one I will grow old with.

I love you Benjy. Thank you for all we have shared!

5 comments:

flee said...

Man, you guys are getting old. You're like an old married couple almost...next thing you know, it will be 10 years...then you'll really be old!!

Many many congrats on making it this far...not that I doubted you would. But it is a blessing to look back on being together that long already. It has flown! So glad you had a fun evening together. You guys look every bit the same as you did 9/10 years ago! I'm thankful I got to be a witness to the ceremony uniting you both. It was a great time and very much worth the drive, even with the ones I rode with! Love you guys! Happy 9 years!

Toni Burns said...

Congratulations on your 9 years. I love you guys and think you are a great couple. Many of Cory and my great memories include the two of you. Thanks for letting us be part of your lives, you have richly blessed us. I to thank you for letting me be a witness to your ceremony. It was great and I had a blast the whole trip. Greg, Flee, and Heath were great traveling companions. Thanks for letting us borrow your car to make the long drive - it helped make some great memories - remember we broke the windshield and the passanger side window got stuck in the down position for the entire trip!
Anyway, we are honored to be a part of your lives. Thanks for being great friends. Love Toni

Kristi said...

Congratulations,
I don't have any memories of a great trip to Canada, but love you nonetheless. Happy nine years to you- you guys make a perfect match. Miss you guys A Lot.
Love, Kristi

Anonymous said...

It is good to read your reflections on your 9 years of married life. Hard to believe that that much time has passed already. Your marriage has brought many new friends into my life - both friends and family. I am blessed to have such a good son in law, although I don't think of his as a son - in - law. My prayer for you is that you will truly grown old together and see your family grown, marry and carry on the Lord's work wherever He directs.
God bless you richly as you continue on your journey. I love you all dearly.
Mom

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

You guys look awesome. Even 9 years and 3 kids later. It has been an amazing example to watch your marriage grow through these 9 years. Could it really be 9 years ago we were all in Disneyworld together. Wow! Love to both of you!