Sunday, January 22, 2006

Cultural Influence

Everyone knows that the culture you live in has a tendency to influence you. We are seeing evidence of this in the life of our son. In the Mexican culture, it can be difficult to accept blame and responsibility for your actions, if they aren't positive. This is even demonstrated through the language....if you arrive late (which is not an uncommon occurance!) you say, "se me hizo tarde" - meaning, something made me late. Not, "I am late" but "something made me late" - a subtle denial of responsibility. The other evening, Reece was playing on the floor and suddenly let out a rather obvious "toot". Benjy said, "hey Reece, was that you?" He very seriously responded, "that wasn't me, it was my bottom."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised Reece didn't blame the floor boards like his dear old Dad does! Love you guys!!
Betsy