Monday, October 17, 2005

Heaven

Since the death of my Dad, I find myself thinking about and singing about heaven so much more than before - sometimes feeling sadness, sometimes feeling peace, always feeling curious about what it is really like there. My Dad loved to sing and I have realized how many hymns that were up there on his "favorites" list were about heaven. Today it has already been 10 months since he passed away. That is really hard to believe. My son, Chase, really serves as a very physical reminder of time, in relation to Dad's death, since Chase was born just 2 weeks before Dad left us. When I put time in the context of how much Chase has grown and changed, it really stings that my Dad never did get to meet him. I remember waking my Dad up early early with the phone call of Chase's arrival on December 2nd. "It's a boy" I said and he didn't believe me - he was always soooo sure that he knew the sex of every baby in utero! After convincing him he was wrong and that he had another grandson - he was quite happy. Oh how I wish I could call him and hear his voice....

Please remember my Mom in prayer on the 28th of October as she faces their wedding anniversary without her husband.

As I stood at the kitchen sink this evening, washing the dishes, I took comfort in singing this verse of one of Dad's faves..."when the skies are backwards rolled, and His home I shall behold, I will walk those streets of gold, hand in hand with Jesus". I am encouraged, a little sad at the same time, but encouraged in the hope of heaven and the reunion of loved ones. I miss you Dad.

No comments: